2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Workbook held in XPStart (Office 2003)

Can anyone shed some light? I have an Excel template stored in XLStart (C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11XLStart). The template stores colours, font etc. When opening Excel, the workbook that appears on the page is a copy of the one stored in XLStart (which is exactly what I want users to use). Also whenever I click on the "New" icon I receive a copy of the template in XLStart. The problem I have is if a user creates a blank document by selecting File/New then Blank Workbook (from Taskpane) I receive a different workbook, not the one stored in XLStart.

Where is Excel getting this template (Blank Workbook) as I am getting confused as to how the application is working.

Many thanks
    Jack

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workbook held in XPStart (Office 2003)

May I suggest that you revisit the thread starting at <post#=435455>post 435455</post#>? You learned about Book.xlt there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Apologies if I am appearing thick !! The template I have stored in XLStart allows users to create a new workbook that is company specific (ie fonts, chart colours etc). The issue I have is, if a user opens the application they are using a copy of Book.xlt, if a user clicks on the New Workbook icon they are using a copy of Book.xlt, if they select Control N they are using a copy of Book.xlt but if a user clicks on File/New then select from the Taskpane "Templates ... On my computer", then select Workbook, which resides in General, they are not using a copy of Book.xlt.

My query was why, when selecting from three locations a copy of Book.xlt appears but from the Taskpane/General tab a different workbook appears.

After the queries I had relating to Book.xlt and the problems that you and others helped to resolve for me I still seem to be unsure of how the application works. My understanding was that if I place a template in XLStart that would be used for all workbooks created in Excel.

Many thanks for your help.
    Regards
    Jack

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Book.xlt acts as default template for the workbook that is created the ways you mention.
    It is still possible to create new workbooks from other templates - that is what the Templates dialog is for. I don't think you can do much about the Workbook template - it is not a physical template, but a virtual one. It represents the default settings from the General tab of Tools | Options... You can add other (physical) templates to this dialog, and they won't have anything to do with Book.xlt either.
    So if the user wants a new workbook based on Book.xlt, (s)he must click the New button on the toolbar or press Ctrl+N.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans ... that all makes sense now.

I thought I was going mad for a minute.

Regards
    Jack