3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook.pst (Outlook 2003)

Is there a way to get contact / inbox data from an old pst file.
    I have tried to import it into Outlook, but the contact / inbox folders do not show up.
    This is the main Outlook.pst I copied when I left my last job.

I have tried installing Outlook on my home computer and having that file as the Outlook.pst.
    Again the contact / inbox items do not display.

Is there a utility some where that will allow me to reterive this data directly from the pst file without using Outlook?

Thanks for any help.
    Richard

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook.pst (Outlook 2003)

The default folder for Outlook PST files is something like Cocuments and Settings[username]Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook. (Presumably, you already have both "Show hidden files and folders" checked and "Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked under Start|Settings|Control Panel|Folder Options|View in order to access the file.)

From the sound of it, you have two PST files there. Make sure you're backed up, close Outllok and remove the "newer" file. Outlook will then grumble when you re-open it. Point it at the desired file, and things should be "back to normal".

HTH
    Gre

Thanks

Due to file format changes and other reasons, I think it is best to keep your fresh new Outlook 2003 outlook.pst as your main file. If you rename the old file something like oldfile.pst, you can use File>Open>Outlook Data file to add it as a second top-level folder in your folder list. If both of your PSTs have unhelpful folder tree labels like just "Personal Folders", you can right-click and use the Properties>Advanced dialog to give them more useful "friendly" names. Anyway, if you can't see the Contacts folder in oldfile.pst when you do this, that strongly suggests that it isn't there!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well I tried opening the old file form the file|open|outlook data file option.
    When it opened it came in as Personnel Folders and only had a Deleted folder and a Search folder. AND they are both empty
    I can not beleive that this is all that is there. The file is 21 meg in size.

Does this mean I have lost the Contacts and other data from that file.

Thanks for the help
    Richard

Thanks

Sounds as though the file might be damaged in some way. Running ScanPST.exe on this file probably will compact it down to nothing, but that is something you could try. Can you go back to the source (e.g., a CD or USB flash drive) and get another copy?