Thread: Telephony

jpaterson

Telephony

I'm not sure if this is ME specific or general, but on my ME laptop, I want to dial-up from office and from home. This requires two locations in telephony. The first one I set up, with a "9," prefix required to dial out of the office, is the only one that sticks. I was able to set up a "home" location without the prefix, but if I select it, the home selection sticks for that session, but the prefix does not change. The only way I can dial out from home is by manually changing the dial-out number each time I dial. This is not the way is works in 98, 98SE or NT4.0. In all of those if I make a selection it sticks, along with the appropriate prefix, and stays stuck through subsequent sessions until I change the selection. Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Telephony

Go to "My Computer,> Dial up Networking, >Make New Connetion" and follow the instructions.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

jpaterson

On the off chance that that might work I tried your suggestion. There was no change. The problem does not appear to be with Dial-Up-Networking, but with telephony. I cannot get it to switch from office to home. Actually, when the dial up networking comes up it always gives the prefix for dialing from the office, and always indicates I am dialing from home. When I go into Dial Properties, the prefix and the location name are correctly correlated, just won't switch in DUN.

Further info: This is the second identical laptop I have had with this problem. I returned the first one because I thought it might be a problem with the computer itself (and because I could return it with no questions within 15 days of purchase).

The problem is not insurmountable, just an irritation.

Thank you for your prompt response!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You need to select the dial up name that you used in the NEW connection. When you get the Dial Up window, on the right side there is a scroll bar, scroll to the new connection. This should have the number that you set up.

Each icon in the DUN will be listed in the listing of the dial up window. You will have to select the correct name for each location that you are at. I think it will remember the last one used.

jpaterson

That is exactly what is not happening!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What are the ICONs (shortcuts) shown in the DUN folder?
    What names appears in the scroll down listing of the dial up window?

jpaterson

In the DUN window I just have one icon right now, called ev1 (in addition to the "Make New Connection" icon). In the "Dialing from:" scroll down window of the "Connect To" dialog box there are two entries: home and office.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Who is your ISP, they are NOT using DUN or you would have had TWO icons in DUN plus the 'Make new connection'.

jpaterson

ISP is ev1 (Everyone's Internet) in Houston. I don't understand why there needs to be more than one icon. I have had only one icon with several ISP's in the past. On icon is really all you need.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have several ISP's that DO NOT use DUN completly. This prevents one from creating a DUN to BY PASS the ad banners.
    You will have to get with your ISP and have them tell you how to have a selection of dial in numbers.

Some of the FREE ISP's have a help page and/or a email type help.
    Hope this helps.

jpaterson

No, that is not the problem. I have probably 6 different phone numbers that I can dial for my ISP. I just haven't had to install more than one. I never never never get a busy signal. My problem is that when I dial from home, I don't need a 9, to get an outside line. When I dial from the office, I do need to dial 9, to get an outside line. Therefore I need to be able to select whether I am dialing from home or from the office.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes, to have 2 different dialing CONFIGURATIONS one MUST make another DUN Connection which will make a new icon. The swapping of the predialing codes is NOT an swapable option with in the Dialup Window.