Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Capturing Dialog Information

Most people know how to Alt+PrintScreen and save a dialog window to a file (for upload to the lounge for instance). These little utilities offer an alternative approach.

"TextGrabber (34KB) is a little application that I made in order to copy the textual information out of windows that are notoriously difficult or impossible to copy (such as Explorer windows and tree controls)."

CopyText (56KB) does 3 kinds of things:
    o copies text to the clipboard from listboxes, comboboxes, menus, text labels, window captions and other widgets;
    o searches for text in all of the above, to let you either select found items, or copy them to the clipboard;
    o performs some nice tricks with windows: enable, maximize, move, change size and location, rename, put on top, show or hide.

<A target="_blank" HREF="http://lrs.ed.uiuc.edu/student

Thanks

Re: Capturing Dialog Information

I've used copytext for a long while and it works pretty well, most of the time. It hasn't been updated in quite some time.

Textgrabber is release 1.0 software that says it is for Win9x. I try to stay away from release 1.0 software as it is almost always buggy.

The Scrpaer link is bad. But Scraper looks like the old PC Mag utility of the same name from back in 1998. Not sure if it has bene updated but PC Mag utilties are now only availalbe by subscription.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't found any "bugs" using Textgrabber myself. It's also been the subject of extensive review and has been listed as Pricelessware, a list of what the alt.comp.freeware community has voted as "the best of the best in Freeware". Version number is not a generally good guide to "buginess" either. If version 1 of a simple utility functions as advertised, then there's no need for a version 2. And although I haven't tried it, most 9x software will run on XP. Have you tried it? It even comes with C++ source code, so you can scrutinize it yourself, sort out the errors you find and recompile your own bug-free version. I've not found a need to do this though.

Alan

Thanks

I'm not a programmer, so I'm stuck with whatever the compiled version is. Source code is of no use to me. Glad to hear it works. Have you compared it against copytext and can you say which does a better job?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've used them both for their own strengths, much like the several screen capture programs I use.

CopyMessageBox seems best for scooping as much readable stuff from a dialog as possible, all in one hit, while TextGrabber (very similar to the Z-D Scraper program) is better for singling out frames and individual controls and pulling the text from them.