5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Saving to DVD (Excel2003)

I am befuddled about how to save Excel files to a DVD. I opened the file from the DVD, now when I go to save I am told the "folder is marked as Read only" even if I use a different file name. I checked the properties of the device and see no "read only" setting. The message refers to a folder, yet explorer shows no folders, just two files on the DVD. I am obviously missing something. And I have never clearly understood the Windows process of writing to CD/DVD drives. I have seen the" Files waiting to be copied" section in explorer, but not in this attempt. Do I need to do something different in Excel? TYIA

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving to DVD (Excel2003)

the file that you have opened and adjusted is in fact in your Temp directory - having been copied from your DVD. The simplest way to work from such backup is to copy the target files into your default work directory (Network or HDD). Then, right click on the files, choose Properties and uncheck the Read-Only box. Unlike floppy disks, CD/DVDs are effectively write-once. (If they are RW, then they have to be reformatted before you can write again.) Thus, everything saved on them is, by definition rRead-only. Hope that that's (somewhat) clearer.
    Gre