4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Invoice numbering scheme (Win XP Access 2003)

How do you coordinate the invoice numbers pre-printed on the invoice with the internal numbering? I see invoices that have a pre-printed number and then under that, they have a printer generated number. (The same number) Could you just give me some general guide-lines on how to be sure that the internal control numbers are the same? By law, the invoices must be pre-printed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invoice numbering scheme (Win XP Access 2003)

Access has no way of knowing what the pre-printed invoice numbers are, so it is up to you and to the users to make sure that the numbers match.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I realize that Access can't read the pre-printed numbers. What I was looking for are approaches precisely to making those numbers match. I can see the use of maybe a query to show the highest invoice number used, or maybe a one-record table with an invoice number field that I update after every invoice. A start-up form that lets you enter the last invoice number used? Maybe people just enter the number before each invoice? Obviously, considerations such as the number of invoices emitted everyday, and whether you make invoices randomly during the day or in batch all at once will effect the method used. Since I don't have the problem right now, I can't be more specific. I am trying to prepare myself for a problem that is sure to come.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See for example <post#=287907>post 287907</post#> for two ways to assign an incremental ID to records. If you search this forum for dmax increment or something like that, you'll find more examples.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In addition to Hans' comments, if you are in a multi-user environment you may find that the Max invoice number is not ideal. The issue arises when a user starts to do a new invoice before another user has completed their invoice. Then you end up with duplicates, and someone gets an error and all sorts of problems ensue. I prefer the approach of a single record table which is updated at the end of the invoice preparation stage in that case. But if you are really just putting in numbers from a preprinted invoice, then you may not want to do anything more than just check for a duplicate record.
    Wendell