5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can not access resource

I have 4 computers on a home network all running Windows XP. On 3 of the 4 computers I can see all the computers when I go to Network Places > View Workgroup Computers. However when I click on the icon for one of the computers, xxx, I get a message,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Can not access resource

Have you defined a share ON computer xxx?

If you do not have a share you can not access any folders just see the computer.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes on computer xxx, I have several shared folders in My Shared Documents folder. Right clicking on My Documents folder in My Computer and going to Sharing and Security > Sharing tab shows everything as it should be.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just turning off ZA may not stop it from blocking. Add the IP addresses of EACH machine to all other machines. This will need to be done before you can run the fire wall.

When you turn OFF ZA the MS firewall will kick in.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have ZoneAlarm configured exactly the same on all computers. I can ping the problem computer, and it can access the Internet through my wireless router OK. (This computer is not hardwired to the network.) I have another computer exactly the same (Dell X300) that operates on the same wireless network without any problem. I am at a loss to figure out why one works and the other does not. Both use Windows XP Pro. The only difference is that the problem machine is my daughters which she used at college last year. While there it was connected to the university's Novel network. Possibly they changed some setting, because it worked fine on my home network before she left last fall.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Make sure that it is set up for a Workgroup network NOT a Domain network, which is what the Novel is.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem machine is running Novel GroupWise 6.5. I login to Novel as Work Station only so I assumed that I would then be able to have the machine be part of my home network Workgroup. If I don't login to Novel, I doubt the computer will let me in. Is it possible to have a Window XP computer that operates on a Domain network and a Workgroup at the same time?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>"When you turn OFF ZA the MS firewall will kick in."

Even if you have the MS firewall turned off?

Thanks

While joined to the university's network (as Dave has pointed out) , the computer was part of a Domain. At home, it will be part of a Workgroup. netswitcher is an inexpensive utility that will allow you to switch back and forth between various networks. In your case, if your daughter will no longer connect to the Novel domain, then this is not necessary.

I had a similar situation with my son's laptop, and I could not figure out how to remove the school's networking components. As well, there were group policies set up on the computer that required a password to change. Unfortunately, we didn't have access to the school's network administrator and as a result, I was stymied. I ended up reformatting and reinstalling the OS and all of the applications (backing up the data files beforehand of course). Someone in the Lounge may have a solution to this for you, but at that time, this was the simplest solution for me. After the reformat and the reinstall, I simply ran the Networking Wizard to connect to my home network.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John, Netswitcher sounds like the solution as my daughter will return to college in about 6 weeks and I do not want to remove Novel. Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Netswitcher comes with a BIG warning message. If you allow it to remove a computer from a domain then you can only add it back again if you have the required User Right on that domain. Some organisations allow anyone to add a computer to their domain, but most restrict this to administrators only.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good point, I will check with the university's computer folks, but I am sure they restrict it to Administrators.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't fully understood your problem, but it is usually possible to work around this sort of configuration issue.

If you want to connect from the laptop to a share on your home network then you should be able to use the Map Network Drive menu item on Windows Explorer's Tools menu. Take the option that lets you specify a different username and password and use a user and password from the computer that hosts the share.

This won't let you browse the home network, but so long as you know the names of the computers and shares you want to connect to then you should be OK.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My main goal is to allow my daughter to print to one of the printers which are connected to two other computers on my home network. When I try to add a printer on her computer, her computer does not see any of the printers, which are both shared. That's when I realized I could not see any of the other computers on the home workgroup. I tried to map a drive. No luck.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One more thing to try. Create a Command window on the XP Laptop, then type the following command, replacing Computername with the name of the computer that shares the printer, and replacing Username with a valid username on that computer.
    <code>
    Net Use ComputernameIPC$ /user:Username
    </code>
    This will prompt you for a password, use the password for Username on Computername.
    When this has succeeded you should be able to use Start > Run > Computername > OK to view all the shared folders and printers on that computer, and then double click the printer.

StuartR