Lounger
    Thanks

USB Flash Memory (SP2)

I have noticed that whenever I plug in a San Disk Cruzer 128MB or 256 MB card while computer is on I am able to access them normally. If I put computer into Hibernate Mode or turn computer completely off I no longer have access to these devices but can regain access by removing and then reinstalling them. Is this normal operation? A Memorex Scanner that is a USB device remains recognizable through shutdowns. Any thoughts appreciated.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB Flash Memory (SP2)

I'm just getting used to XP, so I'm not an expert here, but I can put a flash drive in a USB port, hibernate, restart, & the drive is recognized. Mine is a Memorex 256 drive. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your USB devices.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Check the power settings in your Device Manager. Right Click My Computer and Select Manage. When the management console opens click on 'Device Manager'. Open USB Controllers and right click on 'Root USB Hub' and select Properties. Click on the 'Power Management' tab and make sure that 'Allow the computer to turn this device off...' is not checked.

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe:
    Based on your post, I just checked my settings for USB Root Hub (all 6 of them). All of them had the setting "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". However, I haven't experienced the problem mentioned by the OP. Would you advise unchecking this option on all my hubs?
    Thanks,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I don't like that option on anything as it has caused problems in the past with various non-USB devices when trying to bring a PC out of hibernation or standby. That's just my personal opinion and who knows what MS has fixed with power management and USB since I first observed the problem in the early XP days. I'd say try it as is for a while. If you seem to have problems with devices 'waking up' then change the setting.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I turn OFF ALL power management including the "Hibernation". These have been known to cause problems, at least with ANY older hardware that was NOT designed for power savings.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Dave & Joe:
    I think I'll turn it off. As XP is still very new to me, I'm experimenting alot, but as I've been burned in the past by power management & really don't see any advantage to it (although I don't want to hijack this thread by bringing up "turning off the computer vs. leaving it always on").