Lounger
    Thanks

Add remove programs icon (Windows XP)

My Add Remove Programs icon has disappeared from the Control Panel. The feature is still there and I can access it by going through the HP Help function. How can I get it back on the Control Panel list? TIA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Add remove programs icon (Windows XP)

First, you can use "Set Program Access and Defaults" link on Start menu (when you click Start button) - it will bring Add/Remove programs window.

Second, you can create a shortcut to Add/Remove Programs applet. To do so, right-click the place where you want to place the shortcut, from the pop-up menu select New | Shortcut, in the wizard type

%SystemRoot%system32control.exe appwiz.cpl,,0

as "location" and choose a name for the shortcut. By default it will be generic icon for the shortcut, right-click this icon, select Properties, then Change Icon button and choose the icon of your choice.

Third, you can repair the link in Control Panel.
    Warning: all changes in Windows Registry are on your own risk! Create a restore point (Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Too;s | System Restore) before you begin!
    Start Regedit and check following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionControl PanelExtended Properties{305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74} 2%SystemRoot%system32appwiz.cpl - value: 8 (dword)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCLSID{CFCCC7A0-A282-11D1-9082-006008059382}InProcServer32(default) - Value: %SystemRoot%system32appwiz.cpl

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCLSID{352EC2B7-8B9A-11D1-B8AE-006008059382}InProcServer32(default) - Value: %SystemRoot%system32appwiz.cpl

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCLSID{0B124F8F-91F0-11D1-B8B5-006008059382}InProcServer32(default) - Value: %SystemRoot%system32appwiz.cpl

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionExplorerControlPanelNameSpaceAdd-Remove_ProgramsIconIndex - Value: 0x000005dc (1500)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionExplorerControlPanelNameSpaceAdd-Remove_ProgramsInfo - Value: Installs and removes programs and Windows components.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionExplorerControlPanelNameSpaceAdd-Remove_ProgramsModule - Value: %SystemRoot%system32appwiz.cpl
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionExplorerControlPanelNameSpaceAdd-Remove_ProgramsName - Value: Add/Remove Programs

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks a lot. I checked all the registry settings, which look correct. So created a shortcut on the desktop which also works fine. Remains a mystery that the entry in the control panel has disappeared, but I can live with that!

Cheers

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Another thing you can check, using TweakUI, in the control panel section make sure appwiz.cpl is selected.

Lounger
    Thanks

Problem solved. Thanks a lot!