2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

formatting objects!` (XP-2003)

Hi all,

I am trying to work with some objects that have been inserted into word in a 2 column document. My word wrapping is not working properly and in trying to troubleshoot the problem I realize I don't really understand what some of the format options mean.

Can someone explain what the values and benefits are, and when you should use / not use: lock anchor, allow overlap, and layout in table cell?

Many thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: formatting objects!` (XP-2003)

Each floating object has an anchor (you can see it if you select the object and if "Object Anchors" is ticked in the View tab of Tools | Options... The anchor is always at the beginning of a paragraph. If the anchor is not locked, the anchor will be moved to other paragraphs if you drag the object around, if the anchor is locked, it will stay in the same paragraph.

Allow overlap means that one object may partially cover another one. If Allow overlap is off, objects will stay clear of each other.

Don't know about the last one.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, confirms pretty much what I thought. I think the table cell thing was introduced in 2002, but I don't see any difference in the handles whether it is ticked or not. Weird.

Maybe someone else know why it is there?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Discussion has continued in the thread starting at <post#=492577>post 492577</post#>. Please post replies there.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you use Format Object > Layout > Advanced > Position to set the horizontal position of an object relative to Character (or the vertical relative to Line) then the anchor can be moved to the appropriate point within a paragraph. I occassionally use this for non-standard underlines.

StuartR