2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Specific example for formatting objects problem (XP-2003)

Humongous screenshot cropped and reduced in size by HansV - please don't post pictures larger than 640 by 480.

Hi it occurred to me that it might be better for me to show you what my specific problem is . I attach the following screen shot.

You can see from the screen shot that there is a huge gap between the two figures. Both figures are set to wrap text top and bottom with 0mm set as the gaps. I have selected both pictures so that you can see their boundaries. Note that word is only allowing two lines of text between the pictures before going to the next column. Any thoughts how I can make word fill in this gap?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.jpg (17.9 KB, 0 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Specific example for formatting objects problem (XP-2003)

Is this a followup to <post#=492562>post 492562</post#>?

It would be helpful if you could post a stripped down copy of the document; you can remove most of the text, and you should replace sensitive information with dummy text.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is the problem that prompted the questions.

I can't seem to recreate the same problem with simplifying the document. The problem seems to occur because the pictures are jumping around as I type (even though they are not set to move with text and have been given definite locations to be!). Perhaps the solution is to wait until the end to put the pictures in.

I've tried to make a simplified example, but it isn't behaving exactly the way the real document does. Perhaps it has something to do with word trying to balance the columns?

I know word has never been good at handling pictures, I wish this was something they would make a priority to fix as it is most frustrating. I spend more time playing with the location of the pictures than writing the document and my deadline is fast approaching!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In my experience, objects are best placed inline, in their own paragraph. that gives you much better control over where the object is in relation to the surrounding text. See attached version.
    (Of course, this does not work if you need to have a picture at a specific position on a page, for example in the upper right corner.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, unfortunately, in this particular instance the graphs need to be at the top or bottom corners of the page.

As I said before, I just wish the Word developers would make working with pictures easier!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The only way I can get the objects to behave themselves is to convert them to inline, then back to floating, and set their position relative to the margin (if I try to do this without the intermediate conversion, the objects jump to the wrong places again)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I select the inline graphic and its caption and click "Insert Frame" -- Insert Frame used to be readily available, but in either Word 97 or 2K, the icon went on the Forms toolbar and the words went off the Insert menu. You can anchor the frame to a para, or tell it to appear at top/bottom/center of page relative to page/margin/column.

I took your attachment and left one inline (fig 3) and put the other in a frame. For us, that works out better, since we always have to include lists of figures & tables as part of our TOC.