New Lounger
    Thanks

User Program Access (Windows XP Pro SP2)

I am the original dummy - I have loaded some programs as the system administrator, but my users can't seem to use them - how do I give them access without having to make them all administrators? I have read the first few chapters of Woody's book, but can't seem to find anything specific to this subject. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: User Program Access (Windows XP Pro SP2)

These days a well behaved install program asks whether you want to install for all users or the current user. If this was the case and you answered incorrectly just uninstall and re-install for all users. Otherwise, you need to find the shortcuts that the install program created - probably in Cocuments and SettingsAdministratorStart Menu and copy them to the appropriate user 'Start Menu' or All Users (i.e. Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersStart Menu). Then you must know all the folders and registry settings the programs need and ensure that each user has appropriate access. You may want to do this for one user first and track down all the missing permissions before doing this for all users.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: User Program Access (Windows XP Pro SP2)

In the future ALWAYS install new programs from Control Panel, not from Autorun or Windows Explorer (My Computer):

Start | Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Add a new program (on the left pane) | CD or Floppy (on the right pane)

This way you make new programs available to all users. However, some programs (for example, Nero Burning ROM) require to install additional features to make them available to all users.