4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mouse Pointer Schemes (XP Pro)

Hi

Something I've wondered about for a while, how can i create a 'package' / registry entry / other entity, that will take my gourp of mouse pointers I use and 'install' them as a scheme in the mouse pointers tab of the mouse control panel applet.

I get requests from various people to use my pointers set (which is pretty cool i have to say) and the only way I can do it is add the cursors, go into the mouse properties, select each pointer in turn and set them to the new pointer; then save the scheme for that PC.

There must be a way of automating this, so I can just go to mouse properties and select the new scheme ?
    Thanks,

pmatz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mouse Pointer Schemes (XP Pro)

Take a look at the Windows Registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionControl PanelCursorsSchemes
    contains the schemes available on your PC. If you export this key to a .reg file and edit it using Notepad to remove standard schemes, other users can open the .reg file (after installing the necessary .cur and/or .ani files).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, I have amended the .reg file there and made it so it adds my pointer scheme as a system scheme with all the correct pointers in it when it is merged to the registry.

I will be able to incorporate this into a VB / script that can be run or made into an .exe which is really cool. One thing though, I have done some googling, but cant find a way to set this scheme as defualt through code etc, would you have any pointers (excuse the pun!) to do this?

Thanks
    Thanks,

pmatz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The current scheme for the user is also found in the registry, under HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelCursors. You can set this using a .reg file, or by using wshshell.regwrite in code.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool, so I can set up the scheme and set the scheme as the one to be used for the current user. It doesn't take affect though immediatley. I think it looks like we need to go into mouse properties and click 'Apply' or wait till the machine gets rebooted for the scheme to take affect.

Is there a way to do this - perhaps by stopping and starting 'explorer.exe'?
    Thanks,

pmatz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, that is beyond me. You could put up a message box telling the user to log out, then log in again.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thats cool, i am a lot further on than before - thanks to you Hans. If i find a way I will post it.

Cheers
    Thanks,

pmatz