5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem sorting a table (2002)

When sorting a table Word moves the 'entire' rows - i.e. the borders as well, not just the data. How can I force it to only move the data from the rows? Is this caused by, for example, having carriage returns/ tabs within cells? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem sorting a table (2002)

I think that moving entire rows is by design.You could remove all borders before sorting the table, then apply them again afterwards.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh dear, how annoying. Is there a way of 'saving' the borders so that they can be applied to any table? Otherwise they will need to be re-applied each time.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you apply a table AutoFormat, Word will try to preserve the borders as set by the AutoFormat.

You could create a macro that applies the borders.

If you need to sort tables frequently, you might ask yourself whether Word tables are the ideal tool. Excel has more powerful sorting capabilities and will preserve borders while sorting. You can insert Excel tables in a Word document.

Thanks

How complicated are the borders? If you can express in pseudo-programming-speak where the borders should be, you could have a macro that just reborders any table the way you like. This might be especially useful if you wanted to shade rows based on a value in the row.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think this might be the answer. If I create my own 'AutoFormat' then sorting should keep the borders in their correct positions. I'll give this a try. Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This works fine. I created a new table AutoFormat. Even though I then had to modify the table, because I had based it on an Autoformat it kept the table layout whilst sorting. Thanks, Andy.