Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Dual boot (XPSR2 back to 98SE)

I have an 80G hard drive with WinXPSR2 installed. The time has come to re-install XP and get rid of the clutter. I used to have Win98SE installed, and notice at boot time I have a choice between Win98 (sadly, only the DOS prompt remains) and WinXP.

From time to time I run Win98/OfficeXP (a) to make better use of the document conversion routines and ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] to downgrade WordXP applications to Word97 so that they will install correctly on Office2000 machines.

I am going to backup my data, of course, and then I want to blow away the c:windows and crogramFiles folders and start again. I am contemplating doing this "properly", and re-installing Win98SE, and then re-installing WinXP as a dual boot. No more sliding IDE drives on rails in and out of the chassis for ME, no sir!

I have read Stuart's post <!post=How to recover dual boot (XP SP1 + W98SE),233012>How to recover dual boot (XP SP1 + W98SE)<!/post> and some other postss.

Is this a potentially deadly exercise? Should I shrug and continue using drives-on-rails which is working? Or is this something that even a semi-literate mullins like me should get working?

I know that's a difficult question, but also know that allocating six hours to system maintenance isn't to be undertaken lightly without, at least, consultintg my peers.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dual boot (XPSR2 back to 98SE)

Greetings,

Have you thought about using VMware Workstation . It allows users to run multiple operating systems and their applications on one PC. I have not personally used it or any of their products but I do know one person who uses it to develop applications. From what I hear he can use Windows 98 Files on the Windows 2000 operating system and vise versa. You might want to do a little reading up on it as I have very little knowledge of it personally.

I have use a multiple boot system (98SE & W2K) for a long time and had no problems with it. I upgraded to 120 Gig hard drive and went with a single boot to Windows XP. I kind of wish I had the 98SE back from time to time as some programs are not as stable with XP due to some legacy issues.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Along the same lines you should check out Microsoft Virtual PC 2004.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,
    You should have no problem dual booting Win98 and XP. You must install 98 first. Once it's installed, you can use any third party software (Partition Magic, System Commander, etc.) to resize your partition or create a new one for XP. Or, you can do it the hard way. There's no real need to set the new partition active, since that's taken care of by the NTLoader that XP installs when it finds another operating system present. You definitely want to create the emergency boot diskettes when your partitioning software suggests making them. Oh, XP (unlike other NT operating systems) can even be located on a second, slaved hard drive. That works well, esp. if you use something like BootMagic as a boot manager.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you install the operating systems in the wrong order, then the information in the post that Chris pointed to explains how to recover the situation.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Stuart -- guess I missed, er, *skipped over* that link in his post.