3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox Freezes (Firefox 1.0.4)

My home-office version of Firefox partially loads, then freezes with a blank white screen where a Web page usually displays. None of the File, Edit, etc. dropdowns are enabled. The Update(s) Available button seems to work, but that's it. I am dial-up, usually at 26.4, sometimes at 24 bps, but Firefox 1.0.4 has worked fine in the past on this same machine and setup. I can't put my finger on what change caused this.

Task Manager shows a 100% peak initially, then it drops down, eventually showing 0% for the Firefox process.

I have uninstalled Firefox, downloaded it from Mozilla via IE, and reinstalled it, same result. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Firefox Freezes (Firefox 1.0.4)

It sounds like your profile may have become corrupt, which is usually caused by extensions or themes.

Try starting Firefox in safe mode, this will disable your extensions and themes. If this allows Firefox to run it indicates a problem with an extension or theme. You can use safe mode to uninstall extensions or themes.

You could also try creating a new profile. If you create a new profile you can copy settings from your old profile. You will also need to re-install extensions and themes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Firefox Freezes (Firefox 1.0.4)

Thanks Tony for the quick reply and the excellent imbedded links. I will try Safe Mode next chance I get, maybe tonight, and will respond with results. The description from the first link sounds like me, except none of the top-level commands work. So it may be more than a corrupt profile. (I am current on virus checking but will have to investigate my spyware checking.)