2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Queries (2000-xp)

Ok, I am so in need of help!
    I have two tables - no gst and yes gst which I have combined into an excel spreadsheet so you could see it.
    The tables have all the same fields but some of the data is different. If I copy and paste the data i will end up with four copys of a unique value [field2]. I want to see all [field2] that has GST values or no GST values. I should really only see one GST values (0 or the highest number) for each [field 2]

BTW field 2 is a flight confirmation number.

I know Hans is a master with these types of things.

I have tired a union but it is returning too many duplicate
    SELECT [field1], [field2],[field3],[field4],[field5], [field6],[field7],[field8], [field9],[field10], [Baseairamt], [Basetaxamt], [Ticket Amount], [GST]
    FROM [Yes gst]

UNION ALL SELECT [field1], [field2],[field3],[field4],[field5], [field6],[field7],[field8], [field9],[field10], [Baseairamt], [Basetaxamt], [Ticket Amount], [GST]
    FROM [No gst];

Example:
    179926 has no GST which is correct
    179884 is returning 4 time with the GST being $0, $34.37, $2.87, $0. The correct answer should be $34.37

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Queries (2000-xp)

You will need several queries for this, but it is not clear to me what exactly you want to return. Take Field2 = 179884, for example. There are two records with this number in [Yes GST] and two in [No GST]. You have explained which value you want to return for GST ($34.37), but which values do you want to return from the other columns, in particular columns E, F, G, H, K, L, and M? Those from the record for which GST = $34.37? And what about records that occur only in [No GST] - which one of multiple records do you want to return?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh Good Question Hans!

I want the whole record that has 34.37 to come with it. So, if the gst is the highest than that record stays.

I hope that answers your question.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, that's clear. But what about my other question?
    <hr>And what about records that occur only in [No GST] - which one of multiple records do you want to return?<hr>
    In that situation, one can't pick the record with the highest GST, since there is no GST! How to decide?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I never even thought of that! How about the newest one. So if you pick the highest ID number that will work!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Which column is the ID field?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I have an ID field in both tables. The ID field is an autonumber. I may not have that included in my excel spreadsheet as i typically hide the ID fields. Sorry the field is called "ID"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I keep on asking questions. I noticed that there is a record in [Yes GST] with a negative GST amount. There is a corresponding record in [No GST]. What do you want to return for this couple: the negative amount from [Yes GST], or does the missing GST from [No GST] count as 0 and should that be returned?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well i have to say you are great at teasing me with an answer!

Well the negitive numbers are refunds but I still want them to be dominate over the zero values.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry to have asked so many questions, but the situation you described in your first post wasn't clear to me, so I had to try to clarify it through question-and-answer.

I have attached a demo database with what I think is the solution. It consists of 6 queries:
    qryYesGST selects the highest GST amount for each value in column B ("Veld2" in the table) in [Yes GST].
    qrySelectYes combines [Yes GST] and qryYesGST to return the complete record for each value in column B with the highest GST Amount.
    qryNoGST selects the highest ID for each value in column B in [No GST].
    qryNoGSTOnly selects the records from qryNoGST that don't have a match in [Yes GST].
    qrySelectNo combines [No GST] and qryNoGSTOnly to return the complete record with the highest ID and no match in [Yes GST].
    qrySelect is a union query that returns all records from qrySelectYes and qrySelectNo.

Phew!