Lounger
    Thanks

Windows File Protection (XP Home SP-2)

I have a weird problem that I haven't seen on this board before.
    Whenever I boot up and it (finally) gets to the desktop, the "Windows File Protection" dialogue box starts up and starts to scan.
    Although I can and do cancel it (sometimes I'll let it scan) how can I stop it from appearing on every boot-up?
    I don't see it in my "start-up" folder.

My computer is all up to date and I run AV programs etc. regularly.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks.
    debi

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows File Protection (XP Home SP-2)

This "should" be easy to fix. For some reason your default setting for SFC (system file checker) got changed. Open up a command prompt (start>programs>accessories>command prompt) and type in the following:
    sfc/revert
    and hit enter. You then can type "exit" without the quotes and hit enter.
    This should put you back to a "normal" boot without the SFC runnning at each boot. If you would like to see all the possible SFC commands all you need to do at the command prompt is type in "sfc" without the quotes and hit enter. All the sfc variations will be listed.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows File Protection (XP Home SP-2)

Edited by <!profile=StuartR>StuartR<!/profile> to make link active, using the syntax <!t>[post#=493373]<!/t>. See <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

Sinjin - Thank you, thank you, thank you. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...Since you were so helpful, maybe you can help me with another (big) problem. Would you be so kind as to check out the Internet Explorer board (Can't Use Address Bar (IE 6.0.2.2900 SP2) <post#=493373>post 493373</post#>)?

Thanks for your wisdom.
    Debi

Debi