Thanks

Corrupted PST (2002 SP3)

I've just encountered a PST corruption. And no, before anyone asks, my PST isn't too big. It's only 115MB.

When I click on a particular folder in Outlook 2002, Outlook shuts down all on its own. If I have something in the outbox, it will keep presenting the message "you still have unsent email...". Clicking on the cancel button on this message does nothing except represent the message with the 15 second count down to exit reset. Clicking on the properties for this folder cause Outlook to crash also. I can copy the folder but clicking on the copied folder name causes the same problem. I tried moving the folder but no change with that operation either.

So, how can I fix this corruption? Is there some program that will do this?

Thanks

Re: Corrupted PST (2002 SP3)

Search this forum for Scanpst - you'll find references on how to run this repair tool.

Thanks

I ran ScanPST and it said it found some minor errors and repair was optional. I let it go ahead and do the repair. When finished I checked the new PST (~300 bytes smaller). But same problem still exists. I note that the copyright marking for ScanPST is from 1995-1996. It was last modified on 11/6/1998! Is this the best that M$ can offer for their premier email program? Any other known alternatives?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

From the sound of it, it appears that you have little option left other than to delete the offending folder. (If necessary, you may have to create a new PST file and migrate all your existing good data and folders to it.

>ScanPST is from 1995-1996. It was last modified on 11/6/1998!

That was when the design of PST files was last altered. All the changes to Outlook since then have been elsewhere. (The only change in PST files themselves has been to switch the data storage format from ANSI to Unicode [in Outlook 2003] - enabling a larger storage capacity. It appears that this takes place at a different level from where ScanPST works.)

HTH
    Gre

Thanks

SO no one knows of a way to isolate a folder in a PST backup and save the good emails? I know which email is the problem here. This problem started after I dropped the email into the folder.

Thanks

There used to be a problem with a stuck Outbox message preventing all sending of mail. The solution was to drag everything else into a new PST. (I think this was in WOW a few years ago.) That should work here, although of course it's a lot of work.

Thanks

The rest of the PST appears to be fine, just this one folder. Which seems to be caused by one email message. Think I'll go take a look at the MS KB.