3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

category v dist. list (outlook 2002)

I have a distribution list for a set of contacts working in the same department, and those contacts are placed in categories according to several criteria including the department they work in. I would like to add/remove contacts to a dist. list according to the category they belong to - or just select contacts as email recipients on the category basis and not use dist. lists at all. I could not see an easy way to select contacts by category for inclusion in an email. Does anyone know how to do this?
    Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: category v dist. list (outlook 2002)

Frank, if I understand your question correctly, you have a Dist List, you want to select certain members within that DL, based on those members assignation to certain Categories.

AFAIK, no can do directly, because the DL can belong to a Category, but within the DL the member categories are not available. You will need to select your target mail group from the complete Contact list based on those Categories you want.

You can select a group of Contacts by Filtering on Category in a table view of Contacts. (I have even created an email-address table view that includes Categories for that purpose.) Because a Contact can assigned to any number of Categories, for frequent use you could make a Category called "My DL List" and filter on it and the other target categories. (Does this make sense?) An example of filtering on more than one Category is attached.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: category v dist. list (outlook 2002)

This is very helpful, thank you.
    Ideally I want to create a To: box filled with contact from a chosen category, which I think your advice will do - filter the contacts by catagory, then put those contacts into the email. I think your filtering method will do this.