New Lounger
    Thanks

Save error (MS Access 2000)

I administer a Case Recording System based on MS Access 2000 with about 60+ users logged in at a time. The database is networked and split into Front-end and Back-end. Users log into the database by clicking on the icon on desktop that opens up the front-end.

Most users have problem trying to save or update data. E.g if a user were to add additional information I.e note in memo field, on a good day it saves on one go and on bad day, it takes several attempts. The users have been asked to tab out of data they have just updated or navigate to next record and back, but the data still does not save. I have tried to rectify the problem by adding a save button on the screen, which has more of placebo effect.

There seem to be no problem with the network as it's been tested by IT support team.

If anyone could shed some light on my predicament, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Save error (MS Access 2000)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

If all those users are entering or editing data simultaneously, the problems you describe are not surprising. Although Access can handle 255 simultaneous users in theory, in practice it bogs down if more than 10 to 15 users try to enter or edit data at the same time; the number of users just browsing can be larger.
    With 60+ users I would seriously consider migrating the backend to SQL Server.

See Migrating Microsoft Access Applications to SQL Server for more information.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans for your prompt reply.

The MS Access based Case Recording System is temporary solution until we get proper SQL Server DB, which has become a fairy tale. I am afraid we are stuck with MS Access version indefinitely.

I will look into minimizing number of logins.

Thank you

Super Moderator
    Thanks

While you are waiting for SQL Server, you might also look at the record locking strategy that is being used. In particular, there are a couple of options that you should look at - one is page locking versus record locking. You want to be sure that the option to use record locking is checked. The other is the locking strategy - you have a choice of no locks, all records or edited record. Under all but the most critical situations, we recommend using no locks. In your case however, you might consider using the edited record option. Thus once a person begins to edit a record, other uses will be notified that record is being locked and they cannot edit it until the user saves it, either explicity with a Save button, or with a move to another record.

You might also want to look at the record structure you are using. In general, we force users to add a new record rather than editing existing records. That has two advantages, you can sort the records based on when they were entered, and individual records tend to be shorter. Memo fields have some tricky side effects and corruption of databases often happens in conjunction with them, since the memo field is really a pointer to another page or pages. The longer the memo field, the more pages that have to be chained together. Hope this gives you some additional insights.
    Wendell