3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is DDR2 Really Worth It?

Edited by HansV to make url clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

Check this out:

DDR-I versus DDR-II

Now, can anyone tell me why I should buy DDR2?

It seems to me that if I factor in the difference between 500 speed memory (DDR1) and 667 (DD2) then DDR1 running at 667 would be consistently faster i.e. the MHz difference is 1.334. If the 500 speed memory (current performance 5626) were ramped up to 667 it would run at 7505 exceeding the DDR2 @ 667 of 6221!

I'm guessing that the advantage is in some way architectural i.e. that whilst it isn't really faster now (at the same speed rating) it will allow for far higher speed ratings to be achieved.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Is DDR2 Really Worth It?

Surely the more fundamental question is whether your motherboard supports either or both? I would head to the Crucial Memory Adviser Tool to see what they recommend for your PC!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Is DDR2 Really Worth It?

It is not really fair to compare the two just yet - because finding comparable test platforms is not easy. Since DDR-2 use 240 pin modules, there is no motherboard that accepts both. Nevertheless, if you are looking for a new PC and you are into intense 3D gaming or graphics editing, or you just want cutting edge, going DDR2 with PCIe video is the way to go. If you just want a good solid general purpose machine, save some money and stick with the current mainstream boards. If you are not looking for a new PC yet, ask the question again when you are ready.

Note that other reviews express great promise for the future when prices come down and more boards become available.

http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/memory/ot...in/DDR2/pc5300/
    http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/ram/ddr...ddr2667-1en.htm
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────