2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access to Project database tables (2003 std)

Is there anyway to link data from the MS project data tables into MS Access?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access to Project database tables (2003 std)

Matt,

Would you mind providing some additional details of what you are trying to accomplish, that is, what type of data are you trying to link, which direction is the link being made, etc...?

Thank you!
    Don Liebman
    San Diego, CA 92115

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have a project that involves doing work at a number of sites around the country. I have an Access database which contains information and a comment history about the state of each of these pieces of work. I have also put together a MS Project plan to programme the delivery of this work. I would like to be able from access to update the forcast and actual start finish dates and fo the MS project plan to be updated automatically without having to double enter the information. (It would also be good if the dates could be updated in the MS Project plan and for the Access version to be updated automatically)

Hope that is clear

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Matt,

This is beginning to sound a bit complicated, but will depend on the Access database design. If your Access database is set up to have unique records designed for a one-to-one relationship with each MS Project task, you might be able to make OLE type links, i.e., Copy | Paste Special..., between the two application's databases. On the other hand, if your Access database is designed more like a transactional database (i.e., new records with foreign keys that point to MS Project tasks, that need to be processed as entered), then you will require VBA programming in MS Project or Access, depending on whether the data is "pushed" from Access or "pulled" from MS Project.

There are still too many details about the design of the Access DB that I don't know, and that limits how I can respond. I hope this gives you some idea, though, of what you might be getting into.
    Don Liebman
    San Diego, CA 92115

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not sure what all the posibilities are, but you can save a project plan as a .mpd file then open it in Access and see the tables from Project. When you open the file from Project again, I think you would see any changes made to the data in the tables.
    I have seen this question asked in a lot of forums and not see a way to directly link an Access front end to tables in Project. I spent some time trying to make an ODBC connection unsuccessfully, and have read of others attempting the same thing. I think using Access modules you can probably automate import and export actions.
    If you find any other information regarding connecting directly to tables in Project from Access please post anything you learn.

Carla