Star Lounger
    Thanks

Faulty pics in pdf file (2003)

We insert many "pictures" of black-and-white line art into my word files. I commonly use tif, gif, and png files for this. Then I make a pdf version of the doc file. This has always worked very well in the past. But beginning with Word 2003 there is a big problem. In the pdf file, stray lines show up around the borders on one or more sides, and there are usually stray horizontal lines across the image. This has happened to every person in our office who has upgraded to 2003.

Adobe has a humongous patch available that purports to fix some issues with Word 2003. We downloaded it and tried it, and I'm sure it fixes many things, but they must all be things we never do, because it doesn't help.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and know any way to deal with it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Faulty pics in pdf file (2003)

What version of Acrobat are you using? How are you creating the PDFs - via the toolbar button in Word or are you printing the docs to Distiller/PDFwriter? Also, is the problem repeatable, i.e. do the stray lines appear in the same place(s) if you use the same Word file to make another PDF?

Periodically I experience odd behaviour with Acrobat and usually I can work around it by creating the PDF using a different method. For example, when using the toolbar button doesn't work I simply use File-Print and then choose Distiller as my printer - that works pretty reliably for me (although I lose the bells an whistles that Adobe's macro gives). I suggest trying that as an option to see whether it works for you - it may help you out until you can find the definitive solution.

Cheers
    Ian

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Acrobat is ver. 6.0.1. We try creating the file every way possible: from the Word toolbar, printing to the distiller printer, and by running Acrobat stand-alone with the option "create pdf from file." The results are not exactly repeatable--but they are ALWAYS bad. We have also had several people try this on different computers, different hardware setups, different files, etc. The results are ALWAYS bad.

Thanks

What do you get if you try CutePDF Writer (free print-to-PDF product with no annoying pop-ups)? If the problem persists, it could be a flaw in Word 2003's handling of the graphics.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FYI, I saw this problem using Acrobat 6 with Word 2000 and XP. I don't recall seeing it with Acrobat 4 & 5, and I haven't seen it (yet) with Acrobat 7....

I recall this problem being more frequent with "inline with text" images than with floating images... if your images are inline with text, can you afford to make the them floating? If you can make them floating, does it help?

Also (and this is a long shot) are you embedding or linking your images?

I'd be happy to try converting a test file using Acrobat 7 if you want to attach one; also it would be helpful to see what PDF results you are getting.

Arianna

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As well as Jefferson's and Arianna's excellent suggestions, I wonder if it is worth your while downloading the latest Postscript driver from the Adobe website and installing that (assuming you haven't already tried that option). As I understand it, a postscript file is created as part of the conversion process and it seems possible that having an outdated postscript printer driver could generate the problems you are seeing.