Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automating Document Production (Word 2003)

I need to set-up a system in Word to produce documents with minimum of effort. I have the clean documents - without the variable information already. What I am looking for is a way to produce a document by either prompting the user for the variable information or typing the variable stuff into a table or form and then clicking a button to produce the document.
    What I am asking for is a suggestion as to which way to go:
    Prompts or form?
    I am familiar with both in Word and use VBA in Access and Excel already.
    The other thing is - there may be an add-in for purchase that would save me a lot of trial and error. This is for an attorney - sole proprietor, with one user, maybe two.

Any help would be appreciated.

deutsch

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automating Document Production (Word 2003)

It is usually best to create a Userform that has textboxes for entrering text, option buttons and.or check boxes or list boxes for choosing among predefined alternatives.
    The the code in the userform would create the doc from the entered info.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you search the Word forum for "userform variable" I think you'll find numerous sample documents to download and peruse.

Another alternative (related to forms) is to create a "wizard". This is especially useful if some field choices depend on the value of another/ previous selection. e.g. Select country -> Select State.

One drawback to using prompts like InputBoxes or fill-in fields, rather than userforms, is that it's cumbersome to arrange to give the user a second chance, if they err somewhere in the fill-in sequence. With a userform, it's easy to reseed it and redisplay to the user for alterations.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See <post#=259183>post 259183</post#> for a simple example of a template with a userform that prompts for information.

Thanks

If the attorney has a budget for it, take a look at document assembly packages such as HotDocs. I don't use that kind of tool, but based on what I have read, they speed up the process of building this kind of solution, particularly for more complex documents.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all of you - great suggestions and ideas. You all are always helpful!!
    Thaks,

deutsch