Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Errors on Polls and Searching

When voting on polls in the Lounge you may receive an error message that starts:

"We encountered a problem. The reason reported was:
    Your vote has been counted, but we were unable to extract the Referer variable from your browser. Please use your back button to return to the poll."

This is caused by the HTTP_REFERER being blocked, usually by a firewall setting.

The HTTP_REFERER passes on information to the site you are browsing about where you came from to get to the current page. When voting on a poll, the HTTP_REFERER is used by the Lounge to take you back to the post that the poll was in. If the HTTP_REFERER is blocked, the Lounge does not know what post you came from so you get the error message instead. The HTTP_REFERER information is also used when clicking on the Search link. For example if you click on the Search link whilst viewing a post in the Word forum the Search page will default to searching the Word forum. If the HTTP_REFERER information is blocked then the search page will always default to searching all forums.

You can set up Norton so that it does not block the HTTP_REFERER information whilst browsing within a site. This will enable polls and searching to work as intended The information will still be blocked when browsing between different sites.
    1. <LI>In Norton Internet Security / Norton Personal Firewall select Privacy Control and then click the Configure button
      <LI>Click the Advanced button on the Privacy Control configuration dialog
      <LI>Make sure (Defaults) is selected on the left pane
      <LI>On the Global Setting tab in the "Information about visited sites" section, select "Permit same site" and then click OK to save
    The above is for Norton Internet Security 2005 but the method is similar for recent versions of NIS and Norton Personal Firewall.

If other Loungers have information about how to set up other firewalls to work as above then please post it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Errors on Polls and Searching

I use the Sygate Personal Firewall Tony and have not had the problem. To my recollection, I haven't done anything to its default settings in this area so it must not try to block it. Now, if a ZA user will check in...

Thanks

Re: Errors on Polls and Searching

I haven't had that problem with ZA either .
    The only other program that I remember, that specifically blocked the referer was Intermute's AdSubtract Pro.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!