New Lounger
    Thanks

Adobe toolbar in Word

I have recently installed Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard (the writer) and would desperately like to know how to disable the toolbar from appearing in Word. The toolbar eats up for more screen space than the three (!) icons deserve. As I am working on a laptop screenspace is at a premium.

Any help will be gratefully received.

DJI

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adobe toolbar in Word

The Adobe toolbar is a stubborn beast, see the thread beginning with <!post=Adobe Acrobat Toolbars - STOP!!! (2003),324993>Adobe Acrobat Toolbars - STOP!!! (2003)<!/post>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adobe toolbar in Word

As is documented elsewhere, the issue is that there is a file called PDFMaker.dot that is stashed in C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10Startup. What I have found to be the most straightforward way around the problem is to create a folder in that Startup folder called "Disabled" (or whatever you want), then, while Word is closed, drag (move) the PDFMaker template into THAT folder. This way, it won't automatically launch at startup, but it IS available manually.

BTW, unless you take advantage of the options in that template (such as the ability to create bookmarks from Heading styles, etc.), I find it far easier just to create PDF files by "printing" with the Adobe PDF printer (which is installed by Adobe Acrobat at the same time it installs the startup template.) Both the PDFMaker template and the Adobe PDF "printer" get their initial settings from you current Acrobat Distiller options, so (arguably) the only advantage the template has over the printer driver is that it contains macros to convert document information into PDF features, such as bookmarks, hyperlinks, pop-up text, etc.

The other advantage to removing the PDFMaker template is that it tends to @#$!% up custom menu settings, which can be a nightmare for template developers!
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike