New Lounger
    Thanks

Fast switching users (XP Pro SR-1)

I created 4 users with admin rights (and switch rights) on WIN XP Pro. I log in as user 1 and want to switch fast to user 2. When arriving in the login window, where I can choose the user, I type the correct password for user 2. This password is suddenly not recognized. When deciding to go back to the original user, that password is not recognized either. Only solution is to reboot the system. Is this a bug/butterfly or am I missing a setting?

Thanks
    Gideonv

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fast switching users (XP Pro SR-1)

Have you tried going into Control Panel => User Accounts and resetting the offending passwords?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I tried this, but the passwords are unique and lowercase character based. I don't see any problems with that. When logging out one user and then logging in as another is working fine...

G

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to the Lounge!

Since the early days of Windows XP, Woody doesn't recommend to use Fast User Switching feature. Running Fast User Switching, you are technically running another instance of Windows on the same machine. This is possible explanation of your problem: your computer simply do not have enough resources to run second instance of Windows. For your information: in corporate environment Fast User Switching feature is always disabled.

Second suggestion is about account permissions on your computer. The best practice is to limit the number of accounts with administrative rights to one or two (where one is default Administrator account and the second is backup administrator account), limiting rights of all other accounts (especially main users accounts) at least to Power User. This is security issue: user can accidentally open ports to attacker who acquire this user rights. Some applications (as games) require to give user administrative rights, other have special features to be installed to use them by limited users (for example, Nero Burning ROM). If you need to give users administrative rights, remember: this computer is vulnerable to intrusion by definition. In this case it is always better to create a new user group and assign particular rights to this group (less than Administrator but more than Power User) to fulfill, say, game program requirements. Please read this:
    Why you should not run your computer as an administrator

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the feedback!

I probably missed (or forgot) Woody's recommendation not to use this feature.

With regards to the admin rights, you are absolutely right. I will make changes.

Thanks again.

Gideonv