Star Lounger
    Thanks

Auto Insert and Excel Addins (Office XP)

Hi,

Would anyone know why did Excel stop functioning or close when I add some addins?
    I have download an addin from my home PC which is using Office XP and it run fine However, when I copy and paste it into my desktop in the office ( reason is that my office network restricts downloading ), Excel ( Excel 2000 ) show error and close until I delete the addin, then it run as normal.

Pls advise how can I install the addin?

Can we write code for the auto insert of empty cells with reference to another cell? ie if some of column B's cells are blank and I would like to input Abbr. or a 2-characters eg. CA into them by looking at the content in the cells of column D , eg California.?

Is there another way to delete column automatically instead of using the recording marco as it is static and does not change if the new worksheet change its content to another column?

Would appreciate your guidance

thanks, kun

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto Insert and Excel Addins (Office XP)

For the future: if you want to ask several completely unrelated questions, it is better to put them in separate threads.

1. The add-ins: perhaps your IT department not only disables downloading, but also installing software by the user? Apart from that, you haven't told us which add-ins you tried to install, so we cannot give specific advice.

2. There are several ways you can populate cells in a column based on the contents of the corresponding cell in another column. You could use a lookup formula, or use the Worksheet_Change event. Please provide detailed information.

3. What exactly do you mean by "delete column automatically"? Which column do you want to be deleted and when should it happen?

As you see in this thread and your previous one, you will have to provide sufficient information if you want us to help you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Why is it that when I click on the Total button, it shows me : ' File cannot be accessed. The file maybe read only, or you maybe trying to access a read only location, or the server document is stored on may not be responsing.' and an Error dialog : "400"

I have attached a screen shot for your reference.

Thanks always,
    kun

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I can see, the button you mean is not a standard Excel toolbar button, so it either comes with an add-in, or you created it yourself. In both cases it is possible that the workbook/add-in containing the code to be executed is no longer in the expected location.

Try the following:
    - Select Tools | Customize...
    - Right-click the Total button.
    - Select Assign Macro... from the popup menu.
    - Does the Macro name box contain a name, as in the screenshot below, or is it blank?