2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

primary key on every table? (acess)

I was wondering if I am going to have a multiple number of tables for my database if I would add a column with the primary key to each table.

ex. Service Order Number is the primary key. So I add it to Date table, Uwi table, depth table and so on.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: primary key on every table? (acess)

Hi seaner

That is quite a broad question. Can you explain your table structure a bit more, what relationships you need between them, if you are using look up tables etc.
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is not a single rule for all tables, it depends on their role within the database and on the relationships between the tables.
    For a short introduction, see Understanding Relational Database Design from Microsoft.
    For a more thorough look, see for example Access Database Design & Programming by Steven Roman.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thank you,

I ll have a read, and see if I can come up with a more better detailed question

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

An Access database doesn't have a primary key. Each *table* in the database may have a primary key, and usually does. The keys are used to created relationships between tables but any given primary key would only be used to create relationships between tables that have a logical data relation, such as an PhoneNumber table might have a CustomerID key in it relating it to a Customer table. You wouldn't put the CustomerID in a lookup table of product types. Hans's recommendation on books are the same ones I would make, and I encourage you to get a basic understanding of the principles they contain because it will make working with Access or any other database product much easier.
    Charlotte