New Lounger
    Thanks

Word into Excel (2000)

I have searched and haven't been able to find a "how to" to automatically transfer text from a Word table into an Excel spreadsheet. I can find lots of posts on sending data the other way around - from Excel to Word. I apologise up front if you have covered this already (and I'm just blind). If so, please just point me in the right direction.

Our procedure is that we fill in contact sheets using Word tables, and general text in Word. I would like the text in certain cells of the table to automatically populate my Excel spreadsheet - which keeps track of all the different contact sheets. Right now we're using the copy/paste manner of transfer, which works of course, but it would be easier to have it automatic. The spreadsheet lives in a different folder than the contact sheets (Word).

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm sure it's a simple problem that someone there will be able to help with.

Lesli

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word into Excel (2000)

You can copy a table in Word, and select Edit | Paste Special..., Paste Link, Text in Excel. If the user modifies the contents of a cell in the Word document, the corresponding cell in Excel will change with it.

You can also do this for individual cells (or any bit of text in Word), but it's very easy to break the link. When you Paste Link into Excel, Word creates a special bookmark for the source text. As you probably know, it's very easy to lose a bookmark by overtyping its contents.