Star Lounger
    Thanks

New documents and many Templates (2003 SP1)

I just upgraded to office 2003 from office 2000. In Word 2000, I had put a button on my toolbar for New Documents which would open up a dialog box giving me a list of my templates, thereby enabling me to choose which template I wanted the new document to be based on.

I cannot find such a button in 2003. How can I create such a button (alternatively, if the button would give me a list of the 5 or 6 really important templates, that would be fine too...)

Thanks,
    Saturn

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New documents and many Templates (2003 SP1)

Saturn,

You can still have a button for a new document using the standard method ( View, Toolbars, Customise and then add File, New... to a toolbar and whatever you want with icons or words). On selecting this Word is trying to be helpful by displaying a right hand sidebar from which to get the templates selection dialogue up you must select "On my Computer...". Sadly I don't think you can display this with one click, I have looked at all the comands and can't find anything helpful.

A bit of Vb would do it if we can find out the dialogue name... does anyone know it?

Good luck................. liz

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Liz,

You are correct -- I didn't mention it, but I had added the "New..." button to my toolbar, but, as you note, there is a major shortcoming with this button. I want to get to the templates folder (or my sub-folder in the templates folder) directly.

Thanks,
    Saturn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Select Tools | Customize...
    Activate the Commands tab (if necessary)
    Select "All Commands" in the list of Categories on the left hand side.
    Select FileNewDialog in the list of Commands on the right hand side.
    Drag this to a convenient locaiton on your toolbar.
    Right-click the new toolbar button, and modify it as desired - you can change its caption, style, etc.
    Close the Customize dialog when you're done.