5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Scenario vs Goal Seek (2003)

Opinion - which would be better scenario or goal seek if this is the project:

We expect x number of students in Kindergarten next school year - we currently have x number of kindergarten rooms and teachers - how many rooms/teachers do we need to obtain/hire or return/fire next year? Need to do this for grades K-12 at 41 school sites. Another fly in the ointment is the difference in "loading factors" based on grade. For example, Grades 1-3 can only have 20 children per teacher, whereas grades 4, 5 and 6 can have 29 children per teacher. Middle and high school lab classrooms will be loaded at a much lower student to teacher ratio because of the availability of space for actual students in a class with a lab table, etc. in the middle.

Not asking for excel-specific solution - just a recommendation - scenario or goal seek.

Would also be really cool if someone out there already had to do this for a school district and COULD give me excel-specific solutions - but I know I'm dreaming.

Thanks

Linda

Thanks again

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scenario vs Goal Seek (2003)

What do you want to optimize for? Minimum number of classrooms, minimum number of teachers, minimum cost, ... If you can specify explicit optimization criteria, the Solver add-in may be the way to go. The Solver can find a solution by adjusting several variables, while GoalSeek can adjust only one variable.

BTW I know there is dedicated software for this kind of problem in my country (in Dutch), I'm sure there must be such software in the US too. A Google search for school planning software will probably turn up something.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scenario vs Goal Seek (2003)

We don't get to optimize - we just get to pray we get it in the balllpark and have enough spaces for all the kids.

I'll check on the dedicated software - great idea. Thanks!

Linda