3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Use replication to track changes? (2000)

I would like to set up a system on a table in a multi-user database that records which user edited which field and when. I started looking at what code I might have to put on the before update event of the forms that view the table, but then it occurred to me that this sort of tracking is already being done by the replication function. Is it possible to access this information? What I would like to do is select a record and be given a history of what has been changed.

Failing that, is my best bet to use the before update event loop through all the bound controls on a form and compare their OldValue and Value properties?

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Use replication to track changes? (2000)

Others will have to comment on the replication idea, I have no experience with that.

See <post#=493130>post 493130</post: > for some links about creating an audit trail in Access itself; you can also search this forum for audit trail.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Replication doesn't work that way, so if you are determined to do this, Hans's post gives you the best advice. My advice is "don't". Unless this is a financial database or something else containing sensitive information or you have some other pressing reason to try and track this, attempting an audit trail of that granularity is more work than building and maintaining the database in the first place.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I might as well chime in too - auditing in Access is quite difficult - for one thing you can't track any changes that are made using the tables or queries directly (with no form involved). A much more complete solution is to use the MSDE or SQL Server as the back-end, and then create triggers for the update event on each table. It does however require getting acquainted in some detail with SQL Server and the construction of triggers.
    Wendell