2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Turning Off Toolbars, selecting what is in toolbar (Access 2000)

Is it possible to turn off toolbars in Access so Users do not have access to certain functions? Or, is there a way to block users from being able to make any changes to the structure of the forms, queries, etc.? I also do not want users to be able to unhide the databse window. Is there a way to turn off certain options in the drop down menus on toolbars?

Thanks
    Mike

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Turning Off Toolbars, selecting what is in toolbar (Access 2000)

If you just want to prevent users accidentally changing things they shouldn't, you can set options in Tools | Startup...

Set a startup form, and clear the check boxes for options you want to be unavailable.

You can design your own toolbars and menu bar(s) using Tools | Customize. Custom toolbars and menu bars are stored in the database. (Customizations to the buit-in toolbars and menu bar are stored in the Registry, not in the database), and you can specify which toolbar and/or menu bar is displayed when a form or report is open by setting the Toolbar and/or Menu Bar properties of the form/report.

You can still open the database without the startup options by holding the Shift key down while opening it. (It's possible to disable this, if you really want to).

If you need more rigorous protection, consider applying user-level security. See WendellB's tutorial The Secrets of Security. It contains a short introduction and useful links.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just unchecked the "Allow Full Menus" option and that works good enough. I am not building a particularly secure database. I just will not always be here, so I do not everybody to easily be able to make changes.

Thanks
    Mike

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You might want to turn off special keys - in particular, F11 will bring up the database window even with menus off.
    Wendell