3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

linked forms??? (2003)

I am trying to create a form that can display a cd and have a subform of the songs in the cd. Would a linked form be the best way to do this? I want to be able to select a cd from the dropdown and the songs appear below on the subform. I currently have three tables, one of the cds I have, and another of all the songs. I also have a third table that links songs and cds with the sequence of the songs on the cd. (CD ID, Song ID, Sequence)

I know this is a dorky hobby project, but Suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: linked forms??? (2003)

You already state what you need: a form and a subform.

1) Create a form (a single form) based on the CD table. This will be the main form.
    2) Create a query based on the song table and the link table (joined on Song ID)
    3) Create a form (preferably a continuous form) based on this query. This will be the subform.
    4) Place the subform on the main form. There are two ways to do this:
    - Drag the subform from the database window onto the main form (in design view). Access will probably set the link fields automatically.
    - Place a subform control on the main form. If you have turned on Control Wizards, Access will ask you to select a form and link fields.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Han. I was using the form wizards and saw "Linked Forms" as an option and didnt know much about it and thought it might apply.
    When would I want to use that linked form option in the wizard?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I never use the linked forms option offered by the Form Wizard - the wizard only does half a job, you need to write a lot of extra code, whereas a subform may not need any code at all.

I do sometimes use a popup form to let the user view or enter/edit detailed information about the record in the main form, but that's different from the linked forms option you mention.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, Forgive me but I believe I followed your suggestions and the form is not updating. Do I need to develop VBA for this to auto update? I attached the .mdb as a zip file? Where am I missing the mark? Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The subform hasn't been linked to the main form.
    - Open the main form in design view.
    - Click once on the subform to select it (don't click on it a second time, for that would select something within the subform)
    - Activate the Data tab of the Properties window.
    - Click in the Link Master Fields property, or in the Link Child Fields property.
    - Click the builder button ... on the right hand side.
    - Access will propose to link the subform on ID vs CD ID.
    - This is correct, so click OK.

Note: you can omit the text box bound to CD ID from the subform, for CD ID will be filled automatically by Access with the value of ID from the main form. If you want to keep it, you should lock it to avoid confusion.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans! Its been awhile since I have gotten involved with anything besides queries in access but with your help its slowing coming back to me.