Thread: ActiveX

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ActiveX

Hi All,

I've been out of contact for several months due to buying/selling property and moving away from Florida. I've done a search and find several references to ActiveX controls, but no discussion of what it is. I seem to remember warnings from trusted sources that ActiveX is not a good thing, don't use it, but I never knew why.

I just tried to run an update on Office 2003 on the MS update site, it now requires an ActiveX control and wanted me to install. I bailed. My new local grocery store has a website where they offer coupons. To print them and use them in the store, it wants me to install ActiveX. Bailed again.

Is this safe to do? In what instances is ActiveX "unsafe"? Where does one manage ActiveX?

Thanks,
    Kris
    Kris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ActiveX

Here is a definition of ActiveX: What Is ActiveX?

ActiveX components can be useful, but they can also be misused by unscrupulous people. If a "safe" site such as Microsoft, and presumably your grocer's, asks to install an ActiveX component, it's safe to do so. If you're suspicious about the site, don't.

I strongly recommend that you install and run at least one anti-spyware program if you haven't already, preferably more. See Anti Adware, Spyware, Hijack.
    SpywareBlaster is very useful - it will prevent the installation of thousands of known "bad" ActiveX components.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ActiveX

Hi Hans,

Many thanks for clearing up what ActiveX does. I feel better about allowing it now.

Yes, I'm running Norton AV, Sygate Personal, AdAware, SpyBot, SpyBlaster, SpywareGuard, and StartupMonitor. I've downloaded Hijack, but haven't felt hijacked yet so haven't run it. When I had to switch to Earthlink, it tried to hijack the browser but one of these utilities stopped it and warned me. I "feel" pretty well protected, thanks to all of you and Woody's XP books. Famous last words, I guess.

Well, I'm off to that grocery site for my coupons!
    Thanks again,
    Kris
    Kris