New Lounger
    Thanks

sprintf? (Excel VBA v6.3)

I'm trying to print formatted text like you would do with printf. VBA lacks a printf and also the sprintf function. Does anybody have a routine which does the same function?

I want to output multiple "stringlets" on the same line at specific column positions (vbTab doesn't guarantee a specific position).

I have been using print #1, "blah"; Tab(40); "Blah blah";

Unfortunately, the file descriptor "1" is local to the workbook containing the code so I can't use print routines in different workbooks to print to the same file.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: sprintf? (Excel VBA v6.3)

Look at the Print # statement. Each workbook can open the same file for append and print to it. However, they can't all have it open at the same time.
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: sprintf? (Excel VBA v6.3)

Yes, thanks.
    That's exactly how I decided to solve it. I had already written the code with Print #1, ..... so it was not a big change to open for append instead of open for output.