Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Get rid of logon

Chuck

Here's an answer to the first one - I've had to do similar myself:
    "To disable this, you need to go to the Control Panel, then to Network. Then on the Primary Network Login dropdown menu, select Microsoft Family Login.

Then when you boot up it either should show no login, or one that Says: "Do no enter a password, and Windows will not prompt you again..." (or something to that extent). Just hit enter, and it should take care of the problem. With Windows 98, I've often had to do this a couple of times (ie. after a couple of reboots), but eventually the setting will take and stick."

The password dialog for dial-up may well be related to the above, so try this first and see if it rectifies things. There are other possible contributors to this (see Dial-Up Networking Password Box Greyed Out (Windows 95/98/Me) at Registry Guide for Windows for example) so post back if there's still a problem.

Alan

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Get rid of logon

I'm trying to help an aged gentleman (95 yrs !!) with a computer he inherited from his grandkids. Upon bootup it prompts for a user name, password and domain name. How do I get rid of this prompt entirely?

Also, I noticed that I can cancel the logn window and the system will still boot; however, when he goes to start up his dial up connection the opton to remember the password is greyed out. If on bootup he enters his password then the remember password is no longer greyed out.

The ideal setup would be no login on boot up and always an automatic dial-up connection that doesn't require him to enter his password every time. He has a devil of a time seeing it, as he is legally blind. I've set up the rest of his windows with large text that he can manage to read albeit with some difficulty.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Allan,

I tried your suggestion, but the "Windows Family Logon" option was not present! I tried another option and it immediately demanded the Windows 98 installation disk -- which, of course, this gentleman doesn't have. Sometimes it gets to be very frustrating trying to help senior citizens who inherit an old machine from their grandchildren.

I tried the suggestions in the "Dial-Up Networking ....." link in your message, but they didn't help either. Also I keep getting another popup announciing 'No domain server available to vaiidate password" (or similar). I suppose that this computer had previously been setup in some kind of LAN, and it's looking for all of this network information.

Perhaps I should get a 98 disk and try a re-install.

P.S. I had an occasion to rry your suggestion on another computer that did have the Family Logon option, and it worked perfectly!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chuck

I think that, one way or t'other, Windows is going to ask for the Win98 CD so that it can install the appropriate DUN client (Family Logon etc.). If it was part of a LAN setup, as you surmize, then it's quite plausible that the Family Logon was not included in the installation. Windows 95/98 Dialup Networking seems to give a pretty good coverage of the procedure you'll need to follow. Sorry I can't be of further help.

Alan

Thanks

Hi Chuck.

Go to
    Catz

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Pauliez

Are you sure that "It is there, you just need to go and get it." is always the case?
    I seem to recall some ex-LAN installations that required the 98 CD, from which to retrieve the

Thanks

I have Win98 and when I went looking for MS Family Logon I found it by doing what I instructed Chuck to do. I f you have win98 you need only follow my post and you will find it. Allot of tools are installed when the OS is installed. I have seen others with the same problem in Win 98 get the same results. Even if for some unknown reason it cant be found " BAD 98Disk" or "Bad Install" "Etc" Windows Logon can be used to prevent the problem Chuck is having. It took me a while to find out how much more was installed when installing from the Win 98 disk. Like I said, "It's there, you need to go and get it". If you have a PC with Win98 Se - Etc. check it out. You wont do any damage to the OS.
    Catz

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It might be there on some machines because the "Install files" were copied to the hard drive.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it doesn't get installed on all machines. I tried your suggestion, but the right-hand column in the "Select Network client" window only had one selection and it wasn't "Microsoft Family Logon." It does have a "Have Disk" command button, but unfortunately this gentleman doesn't have the disk. I'll have to scrounge up a 98 disk somewhere and install that option.

Thanks

What was the one selection in the right column.
    Catz

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

It was on of the standard ones, but I can't remember it specifically.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck,

>> I tried your suggestion, but the right-hand column in the "Select Network client" window only had one selection and it wasn't "Microsoft Family Logon." <<

Have you changed the PC from a "Domain member" to a "Workgroup member"? If not, that may be why you aren't seeing the MS Family Logon choice.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

It's been so long since I used W98 can you remind me how to change from domain to work group?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck,

>> It's been so long since I used W98 can you remind me how to change from domain to work group? <<

I don't happen to have a Win98 PC around to look at, but in Win2K and WinXP, you go to Control Panel|Network Connections. Once you get there, you use the File menu entry Advanced|Network Identification, and find the tab that talks about changing the PC's name (it also deals with Workgroup ID). WinNT was similar, so hopefully Win98 will be close enough for you to find the right place to do this operation.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I finally got to the Windows Family Logon selection -- but it still insists on a W98 disk. It is looking for the file protoman.dos. I'll get a W98 disk and try it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast