Thread: Word Virus?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Virus?

On a select few PCs word documents get formating stripped and posted in text to the beginning and end of the document. I have run all the virus scans and no virus has been identified. I have uninstalled and reinstalled different versions of Word. No help. It seems to affect both 97 and 2000 versions and I think started on 95 version documents. Does anyone have any experience with a similar problem?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Virus?

Could you be opening the documents as Recover Text from any Document? When you do the File Open, check the files of type pull down box. It should not say recover text from any file.
    Hope this helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your advice got me on the right track, it only happens when I open it from an icon on my computer, when I open word then open it, it seems to do just fine. Go figure.

BAM

Hi bhodg,

If it is changing to Recover text when you double-click a file from an Exploring window then that means Word is unable to apply the correct convertor and in turn defaults to Recover text.

Are these Word files? Do they have a *.doc extension? Right-click the file and select Properties and check the MS-DOS name on the General tab to be sure.

To prevent future occurrences of this, in Word go to Tools/Options/General and turn on "Confirm Conversion at Open". That way Word will ask you which convertor to use instead of defaulting to Recover text.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!