Star Lounger
    Thanks

Export to Template,Print and Email (Office XP)

Hi all,

Pls advise how to better acheives for transfering the data set to a Word or Excel template, follows by printing with date and page numbers, and send the report out by email at a certain specified time.

Thanks Always

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Export to Template,Print and Email (Office XP)

Your question is both broad and vague. Please try to explain in more detail what you want.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I am trying to acheive the following :

1) transfers the data set which have been processed to an Excel or Word Template ( which is with company's logo and address)
    2) Upon transfering to the template, Excel will insert the current date and page number for all pages
    3) and after checking the printouts and if there aren't any changes to be made, Excel will send the report out to specified emails address at a certain time. ( If there are changes to be made to the template, I would like to delay the timing for sending the emails automatically )

I am not sure if no. 3 can be done. That is, I hope to achieve full automation from transfer to email of the report, if there aren't any problem with the report.

Thanks, kun

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since you haven't provided any details, it is impossible to say what the best solution for #1 is. It might be a worksheet with links to the processed data, or a mail merge document in Word.

#2 is no problem, you can include the current date and page number in the header or footer of an Excel worksheet or Word document. There is no need to set them each time.

If you are using Outlook, it's possible to specify delayed delivery after a specified date/time. I don't know if this is possible in other e-mail programs.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    1) The processed data set is in Excel format ( links ) and I want to transfer this data set to a template in Excel in which it does links to others worksheets within the workbook ( all links been set up ). I would prefer that the report be send out as a read-only file.
    2) I am using Outlook.

I hope this make it clearer to you.

thank you for your patience, kun

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could prepare a workbook with links to the workbook containing the processed data, with all formatting etc. the way you want. You can then use code to replace all formulas with their values, lock all cells and protect the worksheet:

Sub ProcessSheet()
    Dim oCell As Range
    For Each oCell In ActiveSheet.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas) .Cells
    oCell.Value = oCell.Value
    Next oCell
    Set oCell = Nothing
    ActiveSheet.Cells.Locked = True
    ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="secret"
    End Sub

If you want to create an e-mail with delayed delivery time from Excel, it would involve Automation, i.e. controlling one application in code from another one. This is not really a subject for beginners. If you would like to learn about it, you can download The Office XP Automation Help file from Microsoft (free).