Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Allen, Texas, USA
    Posts
    727
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    CPU usage maxed out (XP SP2)

    With one of our work PC's, whenever we open up any one program the system will max out the CPU usage for that one program. When we dump it, it released it. While it's trying to run, it hour-glasses for ever trying to run that program.

    Everything is up-to-date with all service packs, NAV is clear, 4 different spyware and adware programs found nothing.

    What else can I check?

    --KZ

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,593
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

    Re: CPU usage maxed out (XP SP2)

    Did this just start hapenning? What has been changed on the system? Is it really any program? Have you run any hardware diagnostics - such as memory tests? Up-to-date BIOS?

    Joe
    Joe

  3. #3
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Allen, Texas, USA
    Posts
    727
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: CPU usage maxed out (XP SP2)

    On Saturday, it just started happening. Nothing was changed with software or hardware.

    When I open up ICQ (IM), that one used 99.9%; if I open up Outlook, that one uses 99.9%, etc.

    I have not run any diagnostics. Any you recommend?

    --KZ

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,593
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

    Re: CPU usage maxed out (XP SP2)

    If you automatically udpate NAV I'd check with Symantec support. NAV updates have been known to occasionally wreak havoc on systems. If you have not updated or added any software or hardware a system restore should not help but you may want to try. Some malware disables various scans. Are you sure they are all running correctly? You could try the Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan.

    Joe

    Joe
    Joe

  5. #5
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Allen, Texas, USA
    Posts
    727
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: CPU usage maxed out (XP SP2)

    I'm kinda thinking memory or something since each and every program that's opened will freeze/slow the system to a crawl and use all of the CPU. Even the Media player does it.

    I logged into Safe Mode and it did it there too.

    --KZ

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,593
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

    Re: CPU usage maxed out (XP SP2)

    Have you started the task manager and clicked on the processes tab before starting a program? that should allow you to see if it is really the program or some other task using the CPU.

    Joe
    Joe

  7. #7
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Allen, Texas, USA
    Posts
    727
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: CPU usage maxed out (XP SP2)

    That's exactly what I'm doing. With the task manager open, I then open another program and wham.

    --KZ

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,593
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

    Re: CPU usage maxed out (XP SP2)

    Just double checking. Some people just look at the total CPU usage at the bottom and not the individual processes. Are these always internet related apps?

    Joe
    Joe

  9. #9
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Allen, Texas, USA
    Posts
    727
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: CPU usage maxed out (XP SP2)

    (Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

    I was not able to go to ANY web page at all to do any on-line scans as it would come close to locking up when trying to simply type in a web address, then once it got it typed, it would hour-glass forever while it was trying to allow IE to connect. I then did a system restore to a month ago, and it seemed to be able to get me going so I did all my security updates and even ran an on-line scan from http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan (it didn't find anything) and rebooted and it then again hung. So, I went back two months in restore and didn't do any updates. 3 hours later it's still working properly now. No idea what the issue was.

    --KZ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •