Lounger
    Thanks

Re-installing a driver (Home SP2)

I was having trouble with the memory card reader that came with my HP computer so I contacted HP e-mail Tech Support. They advised that I reinstall the drivers. They told me to go into Device Manager, Storage Volume and rt. click and "uninstall" each "Generic USB Card Reader driver" and then restart. In my Device Manager these were called just "generic volume"s, but I assumed that was what they were referring to. When I right-clicked the first one and selected "uninstall", it disappeared from the list. There were three left, so I tried to do the same with each of them in exactly the same manner. But they did not disappear from the list as the first one had done. I asked tech support about that, but they didn't seem to understand my question or chose to ignore it. But the card reader problem seems to be resolved so it's "case closed". But just out of curiosity, I'm wondering why it behaved in this way and if that is normal. Thanks for any help.
    DeeJay

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Re-installing a driver (Home SP2)

Yes, this is normal. If your problem is solved, congratulations! To explain why it behaved in this way is difficult.

Your operating system (Windows XP) needs special programs (drivers) to use different devices (memory card reader). Windows keeps such programs "ready" (installed) to use (load into memory) when they are needed (you inserted memory card into the reader slot). Installed programs are files on your hard drive and as such, they can be corrupted for different reasons. When you uninstall a driver, you erase its files from Windows. After rebooting Windows checks your computer (using Plug-and-Play technology) for each piece of hardware and loading corresponding drivers into memory. When the driver is not present (you uninstall it or connect a new device) Windows prompts you for a driver. Windows has a "library" of drivers created by Microsoft and your computer vendor (HP). It can also search Microsoft database on the Internet for appropriate driver. When Windows found the driver, it creates a copy of it (installs the driver).
    When you uninstalled the driver for device that was not in use, it "disappears" from Device Manager. When you tried to uninstall the device that was in use (loaded into memory), it remains in Device Manager - Windows still "knows" about its existanse.

Please don't shoot me - I tried to explain...

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Re-installing a driver (Home SP2)

So would it be correct to say that the device that disappeared from the Device Manager list when I clicked "uninstall" was the device with the corrupt driver, and that the other three ones that didn't disappear when I clicked "uninstall" did not have corrupt drivers and that's why they didn't disappear? (all 4 were card reader slots, each for a different type of memory card and I know that the one that disappeared was the reader slot I was having trouble with) Or is there another reason why they didn't disappear? I didn't exactly understand what you meant by a device being "in use" or "not in use", because none of the slots had a card in them or anything like that when this "uninstall" procedure was going on.
    As you can tell, I'm just a real novice at all this. But I'm really interested in learning all I can and trying to understand what is happening. So I appreciate your explanations.
    DeeJay