2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

User Templates Folder (Outlook 2003)

Is it possible to change the default folder that Outlook looks for my User Templates in, (the one shown when you select "User Templates in file system" in the "choose form" dialog")? I've looked around the options and the Help file but can't seem to find a reference to it.

I can choose a different template folder in other Office applications and I would hope the same facility exists in Outlook, (although I know that the consistency across the member applications is superficial at best).

Many thanks,
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: User Templates Folder (Outlook 2003)

All Office applications share the same User Templates and Workgroup Templates folders, but Word is the only application in which you can change them interactively (in the File Locations tab of Tools | Options...). So if you want a different User Templates folder, you must set it in Word, and it will affect Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Access too.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice, Hans. I've done that and the dialog now points to my bespoke templates folder. The way I've organised it is to have Word templates at the top level of the folder, then sub-folders for each application ( Excel, Outlook etc). Unfortunately, for some reason, the Outlook Choose Form dialog doesn't show the sub-folders, so the parent folder appears empty, (as the contents have the file suffix .DOT, rather than .OFT). I have to click on Browse, then drill to the Outlook sub-folder before I can choose my templates.

This isn't the way I'm used to file selection dialog boxes working. Is there a way around it, (apart from moving my temlates into the parent folder, which the purist in me doesn't like)?
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Choose Form dialog in Outlook (I assuemd that's what you mean) is not a standard File dialog. I don't think there is a way to change its behavior, so you're stuck with either storing the .Outlook templates in the top level of the User Templates folder, or using the Browse... button. Sorry.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response Hans. I'll move the templates and live with it.
    Regards,

Steve