3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Send to mail recipient problem (OE 6 (XP Pro SP2))

A recently developed problem- if I right-click a file and select "send to mail recipient," OE tries to send the item but times out. However if I open OE and attach the same item to an email , it sends immediately.
    Would appreciate any advice on this new quirky behaviour!

Thanks

Re: Send to mail recipient problem (OE 6 (XP Pro S

A couple of previous posts that may hold some clues: post 412557 and post 310923.
    Is there a connection between the size of the attachment and the ability to send the attachment?
    Do you have any virus scanner running?
    Does clearing out your IE temp files help?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif- size or file format makes no difference- a 6.5KB gif , a 500KB pdf and a 90KB Word doc all failed to send by right-click and send to. The end result is the OE message "your SMTP server has not responded in 300 seconds etc," yet I can rapidly send large files as attachments after opening OE. Am using ZA Security Suite Pro and no changes other than the regular updates of virus definitions. Otherwise all software is unchanged. Cleaning out the IE temp files (which I regularly do) is of no avail.
    Dianne

Thanks

I'm wondering if ZA is scanning the file at the same time as it is trying to be sent, causing it to be locked. When you attach it to an email, the scanning takes place before the mail is sent.
    You could try disabling any live virus protection (briefly!) and see if that makes any difference.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I bravely turned off the ZA antivirus function, and the issue remains the same. Up comes the OE dialogue box indicating "connecting" and that the task is executing, then times out after 300 sec..

Thanks

From Googling around, it seems that AV software is the commonest culprit, but if you definitely and completely disabled yours and still no go, I guess it is not that in your case!

A couple of MSKB articles that might give you some clues:
    MSKB 813514: How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and receive e-mail in Outlook and in Outlook Express
    MSKB 254926: OLEXP: You Cannot Send a Message with Graphic Attachments

Failing that:
    I'm not sure if Outlook Express works in the same way as Outlook, but when the email opens up with the attachment, can you save and close the message? In OL this would save it in the Inbox until I re-opened it and sent it. If you can, does that work?

One final thought - do you actually have Outlook Express open and running when you click on the file and select to send it as an attachment?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif, I am able to save and close the message. I reset my default email program to Outlook, and the same problem arises with the right-click, send to method.
    With OE and Outlook, the emails sit in my Outbox and send immediately once I open the programs. In addition, using WinZip zip and send to, the problem is identical- the item does not send but remains in the Outbox until OE is opened. It is only a minor inconvenience, but am used to using the right click, send to method many times a day, and I am curious as to the cause of this new problem.
    Dianne

Thanks

Sorry, I hadn't absorbed the fact that you didn't have your mail client running, so - have I got this right:

Without your mail client (OL or OLE) running, you right click on a file and select "Send to mail recipient", but it times out, whereas if the client is running, it gets sent OK.
    Yes?
    At some time in the recent past, this method has worked.
    Yes?

If so, and this is not a new installation, I wonder if it is some security update (either from MS or your ISP) that is preventing mail being sent surreptitiously as some kind of anti-malware measure.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Indeed so- the client email is not running when I attempt to email a file. Have not experienced this issue until the last week or so, and did wonder whether a recent update (? latest Windows update) may have created the problem. Other than updates of ZA Security Pro virus and CounterSpy spyware defintions updates , nothing else has changed, so I assume one of these may be the culprit. Certainly no problem opening OL or OE and then sending attachments, and can also send files as attachments from within Office 2003 (Word,Excel etc).
    Hadn't thought of the ISP-will look into that.
    Many thanks once again
    Dianne

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You may find some answers here .

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the lead. I followed the processes suggested and even tried the registry fix, without success. Will just have to take the slightly longer route of opening the email client and adding files as attachments. I think that we have been rather spoiled by the increasing speed at which we can perform actions on the computer, and fiercely protect the saved milliseconds if something can be done just that bit faster!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This may apply or maybe this .

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jolas, thank you for the leads. I tried the Microsoft KB method [OLEXP: "Mail Recipient" Command Missing on "Send To" Menu], and it removed "mail recipient" from the "send to" context menu!
    I was able to restore it with a vbs file I found by Googling, but still cannot get files to send by right click, send to mail recipient. Am yet to try the second suggestion.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

An update to this issue- Googling the time -out error message (0x800CCC19) revealed that scanning of outbound email by a virus scanner can cause this problem. I turned off Zone Alarm Security Suite outbound email scanning and the problem is solved.