2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Email - delayed delivery (Outlook 2003 SP1)

I often experience delays of from1 to 5 hours in receiving emails from my daughter who uses a government (city) dial-up ISP. I have broadband cable. My ISP says deliveries are out of their control once the email leaves their server, which I accept. However, are delays like this common? Could either of our ISP's be at fault?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Email - delayed delivery (Outlook 2003 SP1)

Yes, could be an ISP mail server issue. Are the delays both ways?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The fact that you only metnion delays from your daughter could well indicate that the City only sweeps its external mail paths infrequently (perhaps to save costs on their contract?). They may deliver more frequently internally, but that would not affect you. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure if the delays are both ways. I've asked my daughter to start tracking that. Your email, BTW, took less than 5 minutes based on when I was at the computer.

Thanks

The message headers, which you can view using View>Options... from inside the message, or right-click>Options... from the Inbox, show a number of different times. Sent indicates the time according to the sender's computer, while the top line usually shows the time the message arrived at the ISP's mail server. The intermediate stops also may reveal useful information.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re John's question about delays in both directions. There do not appear to be any delays going from me to seattle.gov.
    Re the suggestion from jscher2000 on tracking the times. That yielded most interesting info. Yesterday, my daughter sent me an email at 3:42 PM (15:42). I had not rec'd it when I logged off about 3 hours later. However following your suggestion I checked the time path from the view>options in her message. This shows the message rec'd by wavecable.net ( my ISP) as 15:42:00. Without listing the rest of the detail in that view, there were two other intermediate times of 15:41:58 and 15:41:44. Apparently some of those clocks differ by a few seconds, but what do you make of my ISP receiving the message 3 hours before I did?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to advice from this forum and my ISP, I've located the problem, though not the solution. I've sent myself a couple emails this morning. One showed up in Outlook in 8 minutes, the other took 14 minutes. However, if I check in webmail, the messages are there almost immediately - or if I click send/receive in Outlook, I get the message. I've been depending on outlook to notify me via sound and/or desktop alert, or by looking in my outlook inbox (without first clicking send/receive). Anyone have a fix for this problem?

Thanks

Left to its own devices, Outlook generally checks for new mail every 5 minutes or so. That process can be delayed if your computer goes "offline." Broadband connections, sold as "always on," are not supposed to go offline. Can you check whether you have Outlook set to check at regular intervals? There also is a tab somewhere (I'm away from Outlook at the moment) where Outlook can be instructed either to "dial" a connection or to use the "LAN" (more relevant to you) connection. Does that one look right? Finally, if you are a big energy conserver, you might have your network card set to power down in Windows' power management settings (somewhere in the Control Panel). This might be shutting down your broadband connection.

If nothing here helps, there are some little utilities that you can load whose sole purpose is to monitor your server-side mailbox for new messages. None of the names come to me now, except MailWasher, which really is meant to let you preview junk mail, but maybe one of those might provide a workaround until we get Outlook back on its feet.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I think my settings are OK now. Outlook was set to check every 30 min. I reset that to 5 min. And it appears that Outlook is operating corretly now, but I'll monitor it for a while. Another problem might have been that I often put my computer on Standby and when I wake it up to take a look, when there were no message alerts in the tray, I assumed there were none in the inbox. I'll just have to do a better job of keeping on top of that. I switched from Outlook Express to Outlook 5 or 6 months ago. I guess I probably assumed that Outlook was going to perform some checks that I was used to doing in OE and didn't adjust as I should have.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I spoke too soon about Outlook operating correctly. I now have two messages in my webmail in box that are not in my Outlook inbox. When I click send/receive in Outlook, I get an error message saying :
    Task 'mail.wavecable.com - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Thanks

If you go into Tools>Email Accounts, edit that account, click More Settings, you should get an Advanced tab that lets you lengthen the time out. If that doesn't work, then possibly there is something flaky with your internet connection, or a security program (e.g., add-on firewall) might be interfering with retrieving mail.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The time out value didn't make a difference. I turned off Zone Alarm and still could not receive. Reactivated ZA, closed Outlook, reopened and everything works as it's supposed to. Beats me why it healed. I'll let you know if there's a relapse. Thanks again