New Lounger
    Thanks

Combo Expansion Board Probs

Using Asus P4P800 (most recent bios and chipset files installed) running win XP Home. I have enabled the 4 embedded (integrated onto the backplane) USB ports - as USB 2/hispeed - on backplane. An additional 4 ports could be enabled in the Bios and used via front panel etc (not presently enabled). All ports work perfectly.

I purchased a generic combo firewire (2 ports) - and USB 2.0 (4 ports) expansion card that uses Via VT6306 & Via VT6212L chips. I installed it in pci slot 4 (next-to-last-most remote from agp). The card was detected at power on (New Hardware detected/installed, etc). No external drivers were requested/installed.

Three of the usb ports are dead - any device connected does nothing. The instant a device is inserted in the remaining port (plug has not even bottomed in the port) and the system shuts down (powers off). For the (2) Firewire ports: one works, the other is dead.

Changing the bios settings to activate all (8) ports or to de-activate all ports achieves nothing. The pci slot is not defective; I have successfully used another brand of usb card (4 port) in this same slot. With it, once again, bios settings make no difference.

The combo card itself tests good on another Windows XP system: every port is active and there are no system shutdowns. Dealer tested on store system and again, perfect.

Obviously, merchandise is not defective. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks, in advance, for ideas.

Thanks

Re: Combo Expansion Board Probs

Dunc,

What does Device Manager say about this card and or the USB controllers? Any yellow flags?
    Did you get any special drivers with htis card?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

No yellow flags were noticed; no drivers requested (card did not come with any drivers).
    Frustratingly, I have the card installed now on another system (Athlon 64 3000+/Asus A8V board/Win XP Pro (not the 64 bit version)) and - once again - it functions perfectly. No additional drivers requested/installed. No yellow flags.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Since you have it working in another PC and a dealer also checked it out, that would suggest that you've got motherboard issues. Either the add-on is not compatible at all or the slot is bad or you've found a new BIOS issue.

Joe
    Joe