2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Duplex Printing Problem (Word 2003 - SP1)

Okay, we spent months developing a new automated report template that uses different odd/even pages which the users print duplex. Everything is working fine except for this wacky printing problem that is driving the word processors nutty. They frequently have a need to print only selected sections (actual sections or just selected pages) of a document rather than the entire report. But if the previous section ends on an odd page, and they try to print the next section, an extra blank page is inserted at the beginning of the print job. So, for example, when the entire document prints, page 3 prints on the front side of the paper and page 4 prints on the reverse side, as it should. But if they just try to print pages 3 and 4, they get blank-front, p3-reverse on one piece of paper and p4-front, blank-reverse on the second page.

This is difficult to explain, so I've attached a document that illustrates the problem, at least it will if you have a printer which will duplex. If you print the entire document, pp. 3/4 and 5/6 are duplexed correctly. If you print just Section 2 (s2), you'll see the phenomenon. Pages 3 and 4 will print separately with blank front and reverse pages. If you print Section 3, the two pages of that section will print correctly because the previous section ends with a REAL even page instead of the phantom even page inserted when you put an odd-break on an odd page. (On a non-duplexing printer, you can actually see the problem, also. You'll print a blank first page when you print Section 2, but not when you print Section 3.)

I have only been able to find one reference to this problem, and that user started adding fake even pages when necessary. We can do that, but it creates quite a headache when the document is constantly under revision and the number of pages change. Our other option is to just print one-sided and make the duplexes later. But part of our decision to change the report format was to cut consumables, and this defeats that purpose. Plus, you still have to pull the erroneously printed blank sheets, or your copies will be wrong, too.

Has anyone seen this? Found a solution? Reported it as a bug? The reference I found to the problem was from 2003.

--Karyl
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Duplex Printing Problem (Word 2003 - SP1)

If I send pages 3 & 4 to print as "p3s2-p4s2" (page3 section2 thru page4 section2) it prints as you want it to. If I just send it as 3-4 it also prints okay. If I send it as s2 (section 2), it prints as you described. I would tell the word processors to just send page numbers (you really only have to print the 1st way if you have several sections that start with the same page number).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was pretty sure we had tried this, but I was excited to give it a go, hoping that we'd just missed something. And it worked just the way you said. However, I was STILL pretty sure we had tried this (WP Manager is on vacation, so I couldn't confirm). So I thought about what could have made the difference in our testing. Eventually, I realized that in an attempt to make the explanation as easy to follow as possible in my sample, I inadvertently left out one of the settings that impacts this problem. The page numbering in our report starts OVER at each section. So, although the method you recommend works perfectly if the numbering is sequential throughout the document, if you restart the numbering at each section, Word can't seem to handle it.

To see this, print "p1s2-p2s2" (the actual numbers appearing on the pages) on the attached revised sample, and you will get the same phantom page problem as when you just print s2. And if you ask for "p3s2-p4s2" (the actual page numbers), you don't get anything, presumably because Section 2 doesn't have pp.3-4.

Back to the drawing board. . .

--Karyl
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

When we set up a document for duplexing, our sections always end on an even page. If one ends on an odd page, we add a page that says "This Page Intentionally Left Blank." If you check your document in print preview, you'll see that it shows a blank page at end of sections ending with odd page. Adding real blank pages should eliminate your problem.