Star Lounger
    Thanks

picture into field via code (Access 2003)

I need to get a picture into an OLE object field in one of my tables. Is there a way to do this with an update query? If not, can anybody point me in the direction to do this with code?

Thanks,

deutsch

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: picture into field via code (Access 2003)

It is not a good idea to store images in an OLE field. It will cause your database to grow tremendously in size, for Access stores an uncompressed bitmap of each image. The recommended approach is to store the path and filename of the image in a text field in the database, and to use a standard image control (not an unbound OLE control) and some VBA code to display the image. The database attached to <post#=296892>post 296892</post#> demonstrates how to do this in a form and in a report. The images can be .bmp, .jpg, .gif, .png, .wmf, .tif and several other graphics formats.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. The problem is the database is sent to the printer to pint a catalog. The catalog has icons for the various storage types. Right now they are linked. Just this one time I need to get the object into the field.

deutsch

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think you can use a query for that, it'll have to be code, but I only know how to do this in a form:

With Me.OLEControl
    .SourceDoc = "F:PicturesCarton.gif"
    Action = acOLECreateEmbed
    End With