Thanks

Saving Logs on a DI-604 Ver E.

I have a fairly new DLink DI-604 ver E. I cannot get it to email my log files to me. When I check the log I see that it is trying and that EarthLink is rejecting the messages as UCE. The router apparently does not support SysLogging. EarthLink did accept the emailed logs from my now defunct NetGear FR314.

I have had a suggestion that I install a simple SMTP server on my computer and direct the logs there.

Has anyone had experience with what is needed to do this? Do I need to disable DHCP so that I can tell the router the IP Address (on my LAN) where it can find the SMTP server so it can then find the email address there? I have only 2 machines on the LAN (a 'simple' home network) so I guess that would not be a big hassle. I'd love to hear from someone who has used an SMTP server to do this and can describe just how difficult it is to set it up so that it works.

Would doing this compromise the hardware firewall (NAT and SPI) on the router?

Thanks for any insights or experience.

Baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Saving Logs on a DI-604 Ver E.

Have you tried contacting Earthlink support?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The risk with setting up an SMTP server is that you may inadvertantly end up acting as a relay for other people's SPAM.

You can always configure your firewall to prevent all incoming access to the SMTP server, but you'd better be very sure that it's configured correctly. If you get this wrong then your IP address will be blacklisted by lots of ISPs and you'll have a really hard time doing almost anything on the Internet.

StuartR

Thanks

To paraphrase EarthLink's reply, if you do not have our (wireless) home networking service (last time I looked that was $10/mo) you are on your own.

It is remarkable how many self-destructive business practices are protected by consumer intertia.!

Baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

Thank you for the advice, StuartR.

I will not leap into this.

From time to time I would take an hour and move my logs from the NetGear into Excel (no, we never managed to figure out how to get them to MyNetwatchman.) When I found 100 or 150 probes to various ports on my machine from a single IP address, I'd send a note of complaint to the owner. Usually it was a dynamically assigned address, often from the same block as the one I was using, Covad in San Jose, CA. Doesn't this fact-of-life often prevent the 'blacklisting' of an IP address? Today it is mine, tomorrow it is yours. One bad apple who changed his IP address (to hide his tracks) by requesting a new one several times a day could get a whole block of addresses blacklisted in a very short time.

As I compose this, I can't help but observe that the FCC (or whatever federal agency has an interest in preventing the wasteful use of our communications network) ought to create a regulation that would require that DSL routers be equipped to communicate with organizations like MyNetwatchman. It might be too big a step to ask that aberrant incoming traffic be reported to a federal agency, but it might also be a deterrent to those who are costing all of us $$$$ as they play their games.

Baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Many ISPs will remove your access rights if you have an open Mail relay, to prevent other people from blacklisting complete blocks of addresses.

StuartR

Thanks

Aha!

As in chess, I need to remember that "the other chap always has a move."

This was advice given to me by 'Jason' Kieffer in the dorms at the Univ. of Minn. in 1958. He was a math grad student teaching undergrads the ins-and-outs of chess. This was a warning against putting too much faith in your own logical, 'if I do this then he'll do that' strategizing. We came to know it as "The Keiffer Principle."

Baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

Problem with Link in Reply Above

StuartR,

Forgive me if there is a better place to ask. The link I put in the previous message appears to be OK. When I copy and paste it into my address box, it works. When I click on it I get an error message telling me "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded." What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

Baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem with Link in Reply Above

Not quite sure what you did, but there are two ways of specifying a URL in a post
    (note that you should NOT put a space after the [ character -- I have done it just to show you how to form the tags:

[ url]http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/res-falsepos.htm[ /url] which gives http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/res-falsepos.htm
    or, usually preferably,
    [ url=http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/res-falsepos.htm]descriptive information[ /url] which gives descriptive information

John

PS For a better explanation, see about halfway down this Forum Help information page.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Here is one more post to this thread.

I did some more searching today and came back to mynetwatchman.com. I'd like to recommend the knowledge base on the website. In particular, this article helped me to be less concerned about the contents of my router log. I remember searching for this kind of information and not managing to come up with a strategy that led me to it. Take a look at:

http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/res-falsepos.htm

It discusses the many kinds of false positives that a hardware firewall can reject and log.

Baumgrenze URL
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

Thank you John Gray!

I cleaned up the link and now it works. Now all I need to do is remember what to do if and when I want to do it again.

I thought it important to point out to users who are trying out home networking that there is a very useful knowledge base at mynetwatchman.com.

Baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Instead of putting the extra space after the [ you can use the tags <!t>[t]<!/t> and <!t>[/t]<!/t> to display [ and ] that won't be interpreted.

as in
    <!t>http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/res-falsepos.htm<!t>"]<!/t>http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/res-falsepos.htm<!t>[/url]<!/t> which gives...

StuartR